Author Topic: nut & bolt finishes  (Read 2641 times)

Offline 69 black r code

nut & bolt finishes
« on: February 09, 2011, 12:06:23 AM »
What would be the best source for info on correct nut bolt & fastner finishes? Thanks!
4-69 Mach1 NJ 428cj

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: nut & bolt finishes
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 12:52:19 AM »
What would be the best source for info on correct nut bolt & fastner finishes? Thanks!
AMK's cross reference fastener guide book which decodes the fasteners and their finish that appear in illustrations in the Ford assembly line manuals that have been reproduced . Both items can be ordered from Virginia, NPD,etc. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 08:22:44 AM »
Even the AMK guide can be misleading!

A close inspection of your original fasteners is considered most accurate. Bolts, screws, nuts were mostly cadmium, zinc, zinc dichromate, & phosphate.

Look at your threads or the back of the bolt heads.

8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 10:56:40 AM »
Even the AMK guide can be misleading!

A close inspection of your original fasteners is considered most accurate. Bolts, screws, nuts were mostly cadmium, zinc, zinc dichromate, & phosphate.

Look at your threads or the back of the bolt heads.
For some one just starting out the AMK guide is very though and will save time and mistakes. Besides finishes it gives examples of what the fasteners look like and there dimensions which is also valuable when tracking down that missing bolt or nut. Of course you can always stop and ask on this forum for every single piece of information if your not sure. That might take a little more time of course and may wear on the helpful attitude of some.   If you are well versed in all of the different finishes and are fortunate enough to have a totally complete car with all of the correct hardware that has been kept in AZ so as not to let the finishes degrade you may want to save the dollars and go it on your own.  The book is not infallible but the purchase of the book along with a inspection of existing fasteners on the car is the most logical and prudent way to proceed in my opinion and experience. I still use it. Bob 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 08:01:29 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 01:24:07 PM »
well said bob!
5F09C331248

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 02:22:22 PM »
I inspected my hardware like Charles recommends. I also have the AMK fastener guide. I don't want the original poster to think that AMK is a perfect exact piece although for nuts and bolts that are rusted beyond recognition, it is the best alternative.

In some instances, you will find head markings to be different and some finishes are incorrect as to what came on your car originally.

8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC