Author Topic: Brakes (1/4" and 3/8" Bleeders)  (Read 3269 times)

Offline BBpony

Brakes (1/4" and 3/8" Bleeders)
« on: October 03, 2009, 10:07:57 PM »
Any opinions on this....?

My original 66 GT (19K original miles) has 3/8" bleeders on the front disk calipers and on driver's side rear, but the passenger rear has a 1/4" bleeder.  All are original.  As I recently swapped out the master cylinder, I am having a tough time getting a firm peddle back.  Bleeding the longest line (the 1/4" bleeder) doesn't seem to get nice flow the other lines get and I am not sure I am evacuating the air sufficiently.    I noted in a trade magazine something to the effect that some original 65-67s had 1/4" bleeder parts OEM...

Would it be worth swapping out the smaller one for 3/8"?   Perhaps have it machined out?

We are using standard 2 man bleed procedures and have bled many car brakes  before.

Thoughts?

BB

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Brakes (1/4" and 3/8" Bleeders)
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 10:34:59 PM »
The larger bleeders on the wheel cylinders are the improved replacement. The caliper bleeders are normally larger. The larger wheel cylinder bleeders don't freeze up as easily and don't round off as easily ether. The down side is that the larger wheel cylinder bleeders are are not assemblyline correct . It just depend if you are going for a driver or assemblyline correct. Bob
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 10:37:19 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline BBpony

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 12:23:06 PM »
Any tips on bleeding the smaller size or mismatched combo?
Could it be that assembley correct in a 66 included a mis-matched rear pair?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 02:33:27 PM »
"Any tips on bleeding the smaller size or mismatched combo? "
 You might substitute another 1/4 inch bleeder to see if the present one is defective. It might be partialy clogged which is not uncommon.    "Could it be that assembley correct in a 66 included a mis-matched rear pair?"
Highly unlikely. The larger bleeder did not come into use on the rear wheel cylinders until at least the 1970's. The best of luck with your project. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline $64stang

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 12:28:52 PM »
Billy,
The Tiny Brake bleeder is the correct original style.  If it is still good , Ray Coleman. down in Texas is looking for one.
I would always replace both sides with new ones.
Also spray a little clear, or something else to kept the rust down.
A little bit of the cylinder is visible.
But tape off the bleed nut.
Jake

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 04:38:20 PM »
AMK sells the 1/4 bleeders. Bob