Author Topic: Midlife electrical question  (Read 2075 times)

Offline 68 S Code

Midlife electrical question
« on: February 25, 2011, 10:19:29 PM »
Midlife I figured you would know the answer to this question. On a ford wiring harness where there is a pigtail connection with a male and female bullet connection is the male positive or negative? I want to solder some old pigtails to some door speakers for A factory connection and would like to get it done right the first time. I believe speakers typically have a positive and negative side to the wiring. Thanks.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Midlife electrical question
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 10:22:14 PM »
the female is the + because it is insulated as the male is not.
5F09C331248

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 08:56:19 AM »
Thanks. But is it the female plug from the component side plug or the main underdash wiring harness side? My question pertains to adding a plug connection to an aftermarket speaker.

Online midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 09:32:15 PM »
Carlite65 is right, about 95% of the time.  Think of how you want the current to flow: you always want it to flow from the female to the male across the connector.  Ford screwed up in a few places: the fuel sending unit line on the main harness is a good example.  It is male for most years coming from the main underdash harness to the tailight harness.  Current actually flows from the dash gauge to the sending unit.  Sometimes, though, Ford had to change this polarity paradigm to ensure the multi-pin connector could only be put together one way. 

So...from the speaker itself, the plug should be male; from the radio, the plug should be female. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 03:18:45 AM »
Midlife thanks for setting me straight on the plug issue. One more question regarding wire gauge and current flow. Since scavenging a plug with wires that will work with the harness may be difficult. I have a plug which looks like it could work from a damaged underhood harness for the turn signal hood on a 67/68. The issue I see is that the wires look heavier in gauge then the speaker harness in the door. With current flowing from the special dash harness into the door harness and then to this plug and wires (i want to solder to the speakers) will the heavier gauge wire cause an issue. I don't know much about radio installs but my kid told me that speaker wire is special. Stranded wire is stranded wire isn't it? Back in the 70's when I added speakers (to my uhhh Camaro) i just spliced the wires in with connectors and it worked.

My real question is will the heavier gauge wire down stream cause resistance and limit the current to the speaker thus not allowing them to work?   

Online midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 09:42:09 PM »
Thicker gauge wire is better than thinner gauge; less resistance.  You'll be just fine.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 10:09:58 PM »
Midlife I looked at the harness and noticed the positive side wire was heavier. The blinking hood wiring harness end worked great. Once jr soldered it on we tested it with the stereo in the basement and we got music so it looks like we are good for now. Thanks for the wiring info from all those who chimed in.