Author Topic: Wrong Distributor  (Read 1783 times)

Offline ruppstang

Wrong Distributor
« on: April 02, 2011, 09:27:35 AM »
I am not that knowable about the curve of distributors etc so I hope someone here can help. I have a 68 fastback C code 289 that came with a C9 distributor with a duel advance. When I first started the engine a friend that was helping me said one side of the advance was not working all though the engine ran fine. I found a new duel advance and took it to the local garage to get it installed and tuned up and afterward it ran really bad, with hesitations and backfiring. They did not know what was wrong so I took it to a Ford garage. They had it for a week before they figured out the C9 distributor used a single advance. they changed that and it ran great. That was all 16 years ago. I show this car in MCA coucours driven class and realize that I need to find a C8 duel advance distributor. I drove it over 7000 miles to shows last year and the best MPG was 17 most ususly 15+. Most of my Friends that have similar cars get 18-20 MPG hwy. I have added Pertronix that helped a little and have a Pony Carbs. 4100. I am not sure if I put the C8 duel advance distributor if that would make any MPG difference? I would be thankful for and help. Marty

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Wrong Distributor
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 10:18:17 AM »
I would recommend you find the right numbers distributor and have it professionally rebuilt/curved. Tim O'Connor does an amazing job at this: http://428cobrajetcars.com/home
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 10:26:28 PM »
I have the distributor your looking for. I will check numbers and post tomorrow. Been sitting in a plastic bin for 25 years in the basement. Agree with sending it to to tim O'Connor to have him freashen it up. This distributor has the dual vacuum advance. PM me with a email and I will send you some pics.

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 01:32:31 AM »
I'm looking at the distributor and it's stamped C8ZF 12127 A. It is listed in the MPC as being for a mustang (F), X (4/B, 3/S/T & T/E). What doesn't make sense is that it is listed under 302 8 cyl.
The casting date on housing is 7H30. August 30th of 67. Well that's for a really early 68 car and didn't 302's come out mid year? Like around Dec. This did come out of a C code 68 vert.
Dual vacuum Advance w/ autolite script on side of snoot. End has a fitting which is open on the end looks like something would screw into it (plug or smog?). Wire has a yellow plug end but the wire jacket is bRoken about 3" from the plug and barely hanging on. Decent core for Tim to work his magic. The C8 stamping is light but readable with my glasses on. The Z and verticle leg and top horizontal leg of the F are deep but the short leg of the F is light again. PM me if this will work for you.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 09:41:09 AM »
Thanks so much for think of me. I think it will work. Most of the 68 C codes were 302 blocks. I will PM you. Marty