Author Topic: Anyone having problems with the repro Autolite Sta-Ful Batteries?  (Read 6287 times)

Offline 64rustang

• Holland Patent, NY
I was wondering if anyone was having problems with their repro Autolite Sta-Ful Batteries?  I bought a new one this spring from one of the larger suppliers.  It's the one Scott Drake re-sells to the suppliers.  It worked great for about 4 months.  Now, it won't hold a charge for more than a day or two.  It's covered under warranty.  I've started the process to get it replaced.  However, I need to buy a battery to get me by until I can send mine back and wait for a replacement.  I'm not excited about paying $35 to ship it back.  I will get re-imbursed in store credit, so all is not completely lost.  I was curious if this is common, or a fluke to have a failure this soon?  Who'd of thought a free replacement would cost so much...  :)
BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  TRAN
 65A        D        46       27E      22       3        6
VEHICLE WARRANTY NUMBER
5F07U148XXX

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Anyone having problems with the repro Autolite Sta-Ful Batteries?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 12:13:37 AM »
Have a grp 27 that I'm trying to figure out right now. Has swelled a bit (the case right below the top cover) not sure it that is an indication/related to a charging problem
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 01:07:59 PM »
     Bought a group 24 from Restoration Battery in Ohio, $275.00, 6/19/06.  Battery has performed just fine, still in the 65, no problems and an overall pleasant experience.
     Bought a group 27 from Antique Auto Battery in Ohio, $302.00, 7/30/09. Received the Battery at the end of August/09 and installed.   Battery went dead soon after installation, would not hold a charge and was shipped back for replacement, another $50.00, 11/16/09.  Replacement refused 12/7/09.  Time consuming, expensive and unpleasant experience.  Bought a $95.00 battery, from Kragen Auto 1/10/10, still in the 69.  Just my experience.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
San Diego, Ca.

Offline wilson69Mach1

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 07:43:37 AM »
My first Autolite group 24 lasted 6 years.  I always had an automatic 2 amp trickle charger on when not driving my 1969 Mach 1.  I am on my second battery now.

Offline BigB427

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 02:00:31 PM »
I went through a couple acid filled repro Autolite's on my 67 GT500.  They lasted 2 years each.

Virginia Classic Mustang sells A repro Autolite with modern style AGM internals (no acid) and they sell for about $255 which I think is the best price out there. I had good luck with the one that was in my Mach 1.
Formerly 69 Mach 1 428SCJ w/ 4:30 gears, 69 GT 500 convertible #0018, 69 Boss 429 KK1599, 67 GT500 #0784, and a few others

Offline sparky65

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 07:15:47 PM »
I've been researching batteries for a project unrelated to cars or these Autolite batteries.  The one thing Ive learned is the life of a battery is highly dependent on the charging voltage and temperature.  This is especially true for AGM or other Valve Regulated Lead Acid (VRLA) batteries.  If the charge voltage gets to high for the temperature of the battery or charges for too long at too high of a voltage the battery starts to loose capacity.

Even long periods on a trickle charger isn't good.  It kind of keeps the voltage right even though there isn't enough current flowing to produce the chemical reaction to truly keep it charged.  Usually they recommend batteries receive a 10% discharge  and a full voltage charge once in a while. 

I wonder how well these batteries are matched to out voltage regulators or even our battery chargers in the garage.

I am not saying that's the problem here since it sounds like one brand may last longer then another given the same conditions, but I dont think it helps.
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 07:41:51 PM »
I can tell you my experience that I have had from being  around and maintaining a lot of the repro batteries over the years.  They are all made basically the same and there will be a small percentage of lemons in any that you buy regardless of the source. The most important thing to remember in regards to your battery in your classic/limited use vehicle is It is imperative to keep the battery up and charged during non use.  I am sold on battery tender brand trickle chargers. Unlike conventional trickle chargers that continuously have a small charge trickling  a charge to the battery the "battery tender" brand will automatically shut off when the battery is brought to full charge and only turn back on when the voltage drops down a certain percentage below the optimum level. I get about 4 to 6 years with these in use maybe 2years at best if I don't and less because the battery goes dead because nothing is on it and will not hold a charge very well after recharging.  If you let your battery go completely dead it will likely cut its life in half. If it does stay dead for any length of time it is likely to ruin it.  There are other similar brands to the battery tender but the ones I have tried did not do as good of a job even though they are half the price.  The battery tender comes in a cheaper battery tender JR which is fine if all you expect to do is keep a battery charged however it will not be strong enough to recharge a already discharged or almost dead battery.  The charge light will never go off and it will keep trying to charge. The regular battery tender will charge a almost dead battery (dead battery you have a 50/50 chance that it will charge and hold a charge regardless of what kind of charger you use) and it takes about 2 days to do it. The battery tender brand also has circuitry that in the event of reverse polerity it atuomatically shuts off until the reverse post situation is changed and it will not harm the charger unit. I have and use both the Battery Tender and Battery Tender JR. I see them at O'Reilly's in my area or the cheap deal is Amazon.com . Just my own personal experience with a large collection that I am glad to share in the hopes (and Karma ;) ) that I can help keep a fellow enthusiast out there from going through the time and expense of the learning curve that I did.  ;D  Bob
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 07:45:46 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 10:56:21 PM »
I can tell you my experience that I have had from being  around and maintaining a lot of the repro batteries over the years.  They are all made basically the same and there will be a small percentage of lemons in any that you buy regardless of the source. The most important thing to remember in regards to your battery in your classic/limited use vehicle is It is imperative to keep the battery up and charged during non use.  I am sold on battery tender brand trickle chargers. Unlike conventional trickle chargers that continuously have a small charge trickling  a charge to the battery the "battery tender" brand will automatically shut off when the battery is brought to full charge and only turn back on when the voltage drops down a certain percentage below the optimum level. I get about 4 to 6 years with these in use maybe 2years at best if I don't and less because the battery goes dead because nothing is on it and will not hold a charge very well after recharging.  If you let your battery go completely dead it will likely cut its life in half. If it does stay dead for any length of time it is likely to ruin it.  There are other similar brands to the battery tender but the ones I have tried did not do as good of a job even though they are half the price.  The battery tender comes in a cheaper battery tender JR which is fine if all you expect to do is keep a battery charged however it will not be strong enough to recharge a already discharged or almost dead battery.  The charge light will never go off and it will keep trying to charge. The regular battery tender will charge a almost dead battery (dead battery you have a 50/50 chance that it will charge and hold a charge regardless of what kind of charger you use) and it takes about 2 days to do it. The battery tender brand also has circuitry that in the event of reverse polerity it atuomatically shuts off until the reverse post situation is changed and it will not harm the charger unit. I have and use both the Battery Tender and Battery Tender JR. I see them at O'Reilly's in my area or the cheap deal is Amazon.com . Just my own personal experience with a large collection that I am glad to share in the hopes (and Karma ;) ) that I can help keep a fellow enthusiast out there from going through the time and expense of the learning curve that I did.  ;D  Bob
+1 The secret of the battery tenders is they allow the battery to discharge somewhat before the charge cyccle is restarted
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 08:49:08 AM »
I wonder how well these batteries are matched to out voltage regulators or even our battery chargers in the garage.

I share your concern about using AGM batteries with a stock (original) Mustang charging system.  Not sure what you can do about this..??  You can, however, do something about how it is charged in the garage.  I am using this Schumacher charger because it is selectable between battery types and also serves as a battery tender due to its microprocessor circuitry.  These are available all over (even Walmart I think) but I bought mine through Amazon.

http://www.batterychargers.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductName=94026842
Jim
'66 GT FB, '69 CJ Grande

Offline c9zx

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 11:29:27 AM »
I'm using a C Tek 7200. Good results so far (6 months) with AGM battery from Virginia Mustang, as well as conventional lead acid batteries in other vehicles. Best price was from Amazon at the time. Chuck
Thanks, Chuck

1969 G code Cougar Eliminator
1972 Q code Mach 1, auto, air, 2F05Q183426, 03/16/72
CSX 7031

Offline c9zx

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 04:28:16 PM »
This link gives abasic explanation that may answer your questions. http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_battery.html    Chuck
Thanks, Chuck

1969 G code Cougar Eliminator
1972 Q code Mach 1, auto, air, 2F05Q183426, 03/16/72
CSX 7031

Offline Bill Cabaniss

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 05:29:40 PM »
 I am with Bob and Tim here. About a year and a half ago there was a thread about batteries. Bob talked some about his past experiences with batteries and how the battery tender brand chargers had cured his battery troubles. Because of his recommendation on the jr's I went and bought two battery tender jr's from eastwood on sale for $25 each. They have worked flawlessly ever since. My batteries are always charged and the cars always crank up easily. I also saw the jr's at sears last week for $29. Bill.
Highland green 68 GT fastback/concours driven since 2000. 8f02j - 1-23-68
raven black 66 coupe/concours driven since 1991.6f07c- 5-14-66
rangoon red 65 Mustang JR. go-cart serial#02. not driven much.
Still drive them to the nationals/they do clean up! 
Gold card judge for 67-68 concours class.

Offline roddster

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 02:14:42 PM »
I just wanted to add that if your car storage area gets below 40 degrees for extended periods, your battery will do better if you remove it and place it in the house.  With a battery tender attached.
I've gone 6-8 years this way.