Author Topic: Wiper arm knuckle replacement  (Read 1430 times)

Offline 68 S Code

Wiper arm knuckle replacement
« on: September 06, 2011, 09:32:23 AM »
I would like to swap a knuckle on my original Trico wiper arm to another knuckle as the finish is nicer. The problem with the donor arm is a slight twist in the lower arm. I notice it is all held together w/ a stainless steel pin w/ domed heads both sides. Has anyone had this done or attempted it on there own?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Wiper arm knuckle replacement
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 11:58:17 AM »
I would like to swap a knuckle on my original Trico wiper arm to another knuckle as the finish is nicer. The problem with the donor arm is a slight twist in the lower arm. I notice it is all held together w/ a stainless steel pin w/ domed heads both sides. Has anyone had this done or attempted it on there own?
They are still fortunately very prevalent and because of this it has kept myself and I am sure many others from going through what will no doubt be a lot of effort to try and repair and restore a arm. It would be very difficult to blend used parts with new parts (rivets ) in this instance to match the surrounding patina's IMHO.  There might come a time when this is necessary but fortunately it hasn't been a stumbling block for most. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 09:24:08 PM »
They are still fortunately very prevalent and because of this it has kept myself and I am sure many others from going through what will no doubt be a lot of effort to try and repair and restore a arm. It would be very difficult to blend used parts with new parts (rivets ) in this instance to match the surrounding patina's IMHO.  There might come a time when this is necessary but fortunately it hasn't been a stumbling block for most. Bob
+1
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 11:39:40 PM »
So easier to look for one with a nicer finish on the knuckle.