Author Topic: Scissor jack resto  (Read 3829 times)

Offline 68 S Code

Scissor jack resto
« on: October 03, 2011, 12:29:25 AM »
Trying to figure out if thr long screw bolt can be removed from the scissor assembly. When I refinished the scissor jack I thought the entire piece was assembled and dipped black. Now I see that scree bolt should be phosphate and the washers zinc. So I need to disassemble the bolt and refinish it. Will it back out? Is there a way to get the washers off without destroying them?

Offline 68 S Code

Re: Scissor jack resto
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 09:55:22 AM »
Ok I did get the long screw bolt out. Can the washers be removed? What locks them in place? Friction? It appears to me from pics of originals that these were zinc plated.

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 11:23:06 AM »
washers are zinc, white spacer is not painted
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 01:51:55 PM »
Tim is there any way to get them off. Screw bolt is phosphate and oil?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 03:41:52 PM »
Most of the jacks I have seen have "swedge" made into the unthreaded section of the rod so it will not back out. You have to grind that down to get the rod out. with the rod out the 2 steel washers and the one nylon washer should slid off the end. Once refinished you have to re swedge the rod,drill and put a pin in it, or install it and not do ether. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 11:41:05 PM »
Bob I was able to get the rod out. I thought i saw a small pin but must have sheared it as i used a breaker bar. It's sitting in evaporust now so hopefully the washers slide off. Thanks.

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 04:47:46 PM »
I finally got the washers off but there was no nylon washer between them. Will be getting the stl washers replated but don't know if I should reinstall them as found without the nylon spacer? This jack didn't have one. Do I change what the Ford employee missed? By the way the steel washers are slightly cupped.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 08:15:03 PM »
I finally got the washers off but there was no nylon washer between them. Will be getting the stl washers replated but don't know if I should reinstall them as found without the nylon spacer?

So you had washer to washer ?? I would replace the nylon washer between the two

This jack didn't have one. Do I change what the Ford employee missed? By the way the steel washers are slightly cupped.

"Ford employee" not sure if these were made by Ford - believe there were a number of different contractors that supplied these since we have multiple versions (depending on the assembly plant) each year.  Like so many other parts that make up out cars
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 11:07:19 PM »
Yes there was no washer originally. Maybe thats why the steel washers are slightly cupped. So do I go to Ace Hrdw and pick up a white nylon washer or is this another hunt for just the right size and shade of white/cream?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 02:30:39 AM »
Yes there was no washer originally.

Or at least when you got it ;)

Maybe thats why the steel washers are slightly cupped. So do I go to Ace Hrdw and pick up a white nylon washer or is this another hunt for just the right size and shade of white/cream?

White one should do - hope its thick enough to pass. Might have some fun finding one with the right inner and outer dia

I've got a bunch I purchased to insulate all the body bolts and such when I reassembled my CJ Mach I in primer - before it went into storage
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 10:29:06 AM »
Was in Lowes yesterday, they had a whole drawer of thick white nylon washers. Color looked correct too

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 09:54:39 AM »
Tim thanks for the lead on lowes. I've seen pics of this washer. Do you know what the OD would be? just a touch smaller (maybe 1/8") than zinc washers from what I've noticed?

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 12:25:55 PM »
That sounds about right

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 12:51:45 PM »
Thanks