Author Topic: Waterneck/Thermostat Housing Question  (Read 1136 times)

Offline john_simms

Waterneck/Thermostat Housing Question
« on: December 29, 2011, 10:49:31 PM »
Happy New Year all!

I am in the process of disassembling as much as possible under my hood to correct a lot of little things that have been ignored, been leaking, in general need of repair, etc. for the past twenty years.  One of those items is the waterneck outlet/thermostat housing to the upper radiator hose.  Both my thermostat housing AND the intake manifold have a recess machined to locate the thermostat.  I'm not totally sure this is correct, and I suspect it is not.  I don't think the waterneck is original as it appears to be made from cast iron and also has a pipe tapped port in the top of it that has a plug screwed in it.  Looking through the Virginia Classic Mustang catalog, they show an aluminum neck that is described as "Correct Thermostat Housing", Cast Aluminum with correct part number.  The description indicates that it does have a recess machined in it to locate the thermostat.

If someone could shed some light on what is truly correct for my car, it would be greatly appreciated.  Car details are below.

Thanks in advance.

John
D code - 289 V8
Power Brakes
Power Steering
4 Speed
VIN 5F07D113769
Build Date - Approx. 4/15/64 (Tag Missing)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 11:05:08 PM by john_simms »

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
Re: Waterneck/Thermostat Housing Question
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 10:53:40 AM »
John,

You will want to find a thermostat housing without the recess.  This version was reproduced for a while, but it is no longer available. 

Take a look at the other thread that mentions that original early versions like this show up on Ebay quite often.