Author Topic: Stainless Steel Brake Lines  (Read 1921 times)

Offline john_simms

Stainless Steel Brake Lines
« on: February 02, 2012, 01:47:34 PM »
I had thought I wanted to replace all of my original brake lines with Stainless Steel, but I've read some horror stories about getting them seal up at the fittings.  I assume this is due to the hardness of the stainless steel as opposed to carbon steel lines.

Does anyone have any experience they would like to relate?

Also, does anyone have a vendor to recommend or to stay away from?

Thanks.

John

Offline BigB427

Re: Stainless Steel Brake Lines
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 03:06:27 PM »
First thing to note is that stainless steel lines are not going to be correct for a concours restoration.

With that said I used a complete set of stainless steel lines from Fine Lines on a 67 GT500 I used to own. They fit good, but I had about 5 fittings that leaked no matter what I did to try and stop them.  I had to cut the flares off and make new flares myself.  Odds are you will have at least one fitting that you will have to do the same if go with stainless steel lines.

If you decide to go the stainless route buy a quality tubing double flare kit and take your time when making new flares. You'll want to inspect the all the tube ends closely for cracks, incomplete or crooked flares before installing the lines and see if you find any defect as it will almost certainly leak. It's easier to work on before you install the lines.

I believe that what ever process Fine Lines uses to manufacture the lines I bought was pushing product out to fast to ensure proper quality control.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 07:46:51 PM by BigB427 »
Formerly 69 Mach 1 428SCJ w/ 4:30 gears, 69 GT 500 convertible #0018, 69 Boss 429 KK1599, 67 GT500 #0784, and a few others

Offline john_simms

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 10:25:33 PM »
I'm not really worried about the stainless lines being absolutely concours correct.  I do like the idea that they will not rust over time like the carbon steel ones do.  There may be enough of a protective coating on the carbon steel lines that they won't rust up, at least not immediately.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 12:19:08 AM »
The steel lines will be on for decades on a limited driving car before they start to rust unless you are going to use the car for daily driving duty in which case it maybe only 10 years or so. The stainless has it's place and if you are not concerned about originality then it matters little. To me the stainless sticks out like a sore thumb in a engine compartment with correct everything else like repro hoses ,belts wire etc.  Again if your car doesn't have any of that original item stuff it matters little. The stainless is a pain to get sealed that is for sure. just my opinion. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline john_simms

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 11:16:24 AM »
Bob,

Thanks for the experienced opinion.  My car probably doesn't get driven a thousand miles per year and sets in the garage the remainer of the time, so it sounds like the carbon steel will serve my purposes nicely.  Thanks again.

John