Author Topic: Valve covers  (Read 2183 times)

Offline qman

Valve covers
« on: December 30, 2009, 07:43:22 PM »
 My 67 mustang originally came with chrome valve covers.  Unfortunately they are long gone. Short of buying original regular covers and having them chromed what else is available and would be correct for the concours driven class?  I see that NPD has a set of cobra valve covers that are concours correct (6A582-1-2A) for 65-66 mustangs. Would they also be correct for 67's and is this what could have been purchased at your local Ford dealer by in the 1960's?  Look forward to hearing from my forum friends. Qman

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Valve covers
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 09:09:25 PM »
I don't believe the high-profile 66-67 smallblock valve covers are reproduced.  You will have to get an original pair chromed if you don't have your originals.  I suppose you have a '67 K code if you say your car came with them originally.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 09:14:51 PM »
Depends on how close you want to be. I don't think anyone is making a perfect reproduction (which opens you up to a possible small deduction if showing the car) but in general your looking for what are referred to as the "closed letter" COBRA valve covers in wrinkle black

Major visual difference is the shape of the openings/recesses for the valve cover bolts
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline qman

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 10:18:48 PM »
The car is a k code....looks like my best bet is to find a pair of 67 blue valve covers and have them chromed.  Are 68 regular covers the same as 67's? Qman

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 10:20:40 PM »
'68 covers have "Powered by Ford" stamped in them.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin