Author Topic: Original 66 Oil Pressure Sending Unit?  (Read 2813 times)

Offline s2ms

• 6S1757 Info
Original 66 Oil Pressure Sending Unit?
« on: February 26, 2012, 08:57:43 PM »
Just wondering if the photo below would be considered a correct OE 66 V8 oil pressure sending switch. Bob Mannel's book has several pics of this style switch with the inverted "KS" logo. I assume the "80" stamp is the oil pressure rating. Not shown but opposite the 80 is stamped "A6". Could that be a date code (Jan 66?)?

Thanks fo the help,
Dave

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Original 66 Oil Pressure Sending Unit?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 09:23:15 PM »
Believe that was one of the suppliers but if your asking for a San Jose car, that is not the one we see typically see on all of those cars-  I would not deduct for it at a show

Think that is the one that is also listed under the 1947 part number
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 09:25:40 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 09:47:32 PM »
That's identical to the one on my 6 cylinder with the exception it had a D6 stamped opposite of the 80. I was guessing it was for April 1966 which would be in line with my scheduled build date.

Dave
65 Coupe Dearborn Scheduled Build July 9,1965 289/C4
66 Sprint Conv. Dearborn Scheduled Build May 13, 1966 200/C4

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 12:47:40 AM »
Believe that was one of the suppliers but if your asking for a San Jose car, that is not the one we see typically see on all of those cars-  I would not deduct for it at a show

Think that is the one that is also listed under the 1947 part number
+1 . I have seen enough on 66 GT350's that appeared untouched based on the surrounding context that I would not feel right about deducting for it. It is however much less prevalent then the Fomoco in script in the oval from the sampling I have observed. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline s2ms

• 6S1757 Info
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 02:53:31 PM »
Thanks Jeff, Dave, and Bob for the comments. I found it this weekend while digging through a parts box looking for something else. I'm pretty sure I remember it came with the extra parts when I bought 6S1757 in 1987, an original extension was there too.

The car was converted to a B/P race car in 1973 and the original sender and extension were removed in favor of a mechanical SW gauge. Something I can never prove of course but since the OE sender was removed so early I guess it's not too far fetched that this is the original, the owner at the time was very good about keeping the original parts. If the "A6" stamped on the base is a date code it fits the car well...

Anyone ever tried having these replated in gold zinc dichromate?

Thanks,
Dave

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 03:56:28 PM »
Thanks Jeff, Dave, and Bob for the comments. I found it this weekend while digging through a parts box looking for something else. I'm pretty sure I remember it came with the extra parts when I bought 6S1757 in 1987, an original extension was there too.

The car was converted to a B/P race car in 1973 and the original sender and extension were removed in favor of a mechanical SW gauge. Something I can never prove of course but since the OE sender was removed so early I guess it's not too far fetched that this is the original, the owner at the time was very good about keeping the original parts. If the "A6" stamped on the base is a date code it fits the car well...

Anyone ever tried having these replated in gold zinc dichromate?

Thanks,
Dave
I have been successful with putting a tight fitting rubber boot over the threaded bottom and having them plated. Like the red ones that come on tube ends etc. I have found when you get it back to liberally coat it with a boeshield type product because  some times the remnants of the plating chemicals  leach out from under the cardboard type insulator on top and want to damage the nice finish.The best of luck. Bob
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 03:59:28 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline s2ms

• 6S1757 Info
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 12:50:10 PM »
Thanks Bob!