Author Topic: 1966 Interior Color Code Project  (Read 37976 times)

Offline Pete Bush

Re: 1966 Interior Color Code Project
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2012, 07:25:54 PM »
Just an update on the project:

I'm currently researching the interior fabrics and think I can replace a vague color statement on the current version of the chart with the code number of a color swatch out of the Master Parts Catalog. I hope this should identify the exact fabric used.
'66 6-cylinder Sprint Convertible
Metuchen - Scheduled May 10th; Built June 21st

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2012, 06:33:25 AM »
Attached is the latest revision of the color-code chart. I've replaced the fabric colors with the appropriate code from the 1966 MPC. Still working on some of the dash pad colors and the pony insert colors.

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2012, 07:28:10 AM »
I'm continuing to research the pony insert colors. I've been trying to look through old ads from the 60's. Attached are two pictures from some of those ads.

The picture of the blue seat covers is from the 1966 Mustang sales brochure. The insets look like the same color as the bolsters.

The picture of the ivy gold seat covers is from a 1965 ad promoting the new GT and pony interior options. The inserts here look like different colors.

It may be that Ford had different suppliers for the seat covers, and this accounts for the different colors on some of the inserts. It may be that only certain colors (ivy gold and emberglo, for instance) were different colors; while other colors (blue) were the same.

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2012, 10:43:33 AM »
Pete,

Don't take a wrong turn.  I'm pretty sure those are pre-computer "renderings," not photographs.  Totally dependent on what color crayon the artist used.

The most accurate, non sun-faded information would be obtained from owners who had one back in the day, or their pictures.  Or even better, if you could
find someone in Ford's Trim Shop in Quality Control who inspected them when received.  (Dreaming!!!!)

There's no way to tell if the Horse Strip and Bolsters matched, 50 years later. 
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2012, 11:40:17 AM »
Bryan,

If they're renderings, they're pretty good. The GT ad is in a magazine page that's about 10.5" x 13.5". And while the picture is kinda "grainy" it looks detailed enough to be a photograph.

Of course, the most accurate information would be from people like Jim, who have had the car since new (or near new). I continue to scan Ebay for "survivor" pictures like some I've posted already.  I'm not sure where else I can get accurate info.

I might just have to keep the footnote disclaimer until more information comes to light.

Otherwise, I think the table is done and ready for the library. It should probably be posted together with the MPC fabric pages and Ditzler color code page.
I can send Jeff my work if he wishes.

Offline fast66

« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2012, 06:26:58 PM »
Pete, first off, I think you have done a great job with this color code project! It will be of great help to many people.

For the photos mentioned in the last few postings, I agree with Bryan. Ford often used a "base" photo and colored it with whatever they wanted - seen many examples of this in their advertising. The same photo with the same car but colored differently or even with different chrome moldings.
best regards,
Claes
6T09K212784
63A 4 25 21B 951384 5 6

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2012, 06:29:55 PM »
Here are some shots of an original Ivy Gold/White Pony interior illustrating the darker pony inserts on an original car.  I believe this darker insert is a feature of all of the Pony interiors.

Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2012, 08:20:41 PM »
The rear seats have the darker insert, the front's do not.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2012, 09:13:50 PM »
The rear seats have the darker insert, the front's do not.
Jim

Right or wrong, that makes no sense to me at all.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline Murf

« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2012, 10:20:42 PM »
I think that with the exception of a black interior, ALL other colors of the "pony" interior had the different color of pony panel in the seat covers.   In addition to being a different color,  the insert material is also different being stiffer and a slicker material without the crinkle grain.  The color of the insert in my mind is typically very close to that of the secondary color in the interior.  That is to say that the insert panel in the seat will be very close in color to that of the dash pad and the speaker grille and the windshield posts.  Not sure but Distinctive may still replicate this feature, but TMI does not.  Just one of the little details that has slipped away with reproduction parts that I would like to see corrected.  Calemco was a company who once made Mustang interior that had the correct color inserts but they have gone the way of many other manufacturers and are no longer in business.  Anyone have a set of recently made Distinctive covers that can check to see if they still have the two color deluxe seat covers? 
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2012, 07:13:34 AM »
Thanks, Jim Wood & Murf for adding your research to the project.

I agree with you that "most" of the pony interiors had the darker insert color. The only question in my mind is the blue pony interior. With the example that Jim shared of his car's interior, I know of at least two blue pony interiors that have the same color insert as the bolster color. The other car being one displayed in a Mustang Monthly article of a car given to Lee Iacocca by his wife. That being said, I have seen other blue inserts that appear to be a different shade than the bolster. This has prompted my suggestion that there may have been differences in supplier material.

The fabric swatches in the MPC don't go so far as to give examples of the insert material. But a close-up of Jim Wood's seat cover photo shows the difference that Murf describes.

Jim Wood: Your picture looks like the rear seat inserts are a different color than the front - with the front being a little "grayer" but I chalked this up to the lighting effect of the photo with the sun coming thru the windshield while the rear seat stayed in the shadows. Since you saw this in person, what was your recollection of the two?

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2012, 08:01:49 AM »
Your picture looks like the rear seat inserts are a different color than the front - with the front being a little "grayer" but I chalked this up to the lighting effect of the photo with the sun coming thru the windshield while the rear seat stayed in the shadows. Since you saw this in person, what was your recollection of the two?

I believe they are the same, with the visual difference being caused by fading and/or lighting.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #72 on: September 28, 2012, 08:57:44 AM »
Here's another example of the dark pony inserts. This time on an original red rear seat.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160887550919?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Offline Panther

• Bronze Level Subscriber
    • Early Mustang
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2013, 05:43:38 PM »
Hi Pete,

first of all: you (and all the others who helped) did a great job with the list!
Unfortunately i didn't have time to help last year   :'(

I got a question concerning the color of the A-pillar of the "Deluxe Interior - Code F Series".
Are you sure that the A-pillar is always color-coded and not parchment?
I haven't seen any Fx-code cars with a different color than parchment yet and i'd assume the color scheme is comparable to the D-codes ("Standard Interior - Code C & D Series) - there the A-pillar is always parchment.
Paul
6R07C214274
65A 8 D6 11F 71 6 6

Certified MCA Judge 1964.5-1966

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2013, 06:43:18 PM »
I got a question concerning the color of the A-pillar of the "Deluxe Interior - Code F Series".
Are you sure that the A-pillar is always color-coded and not parchment?

This help  - a couple of examples - Deluxe interior

For the standard interiors with "appointments" the A pillars look to be the interior color example - Parchment/Aqua the A pillars are Parchment

D9 Example

And a different code

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)