Author Topic: Rear Speakers  (Read 3950 times)

Offline dlsimon212

Rear Speakers
« on: February 09, 2010, 03:06:10 AM »
Did any of the 65 cars have rear speakers in them,,, or did they all come with only the one in the dash?  Seems a bit lame if it's only the one speaker,, I'm getting parts rounded up for the Spring project, but so far have never seen any rear speakers or bezels up for sale,, or can I find any info on speaker wiring,, how & where. I'd sure like to have some rear speakers.

I see there's an AM/FM radio out not that looks pretty close to factory, but I'd hate to spend $280 for one if rear speakers aren't an option. I see they offer some iffy looking front kick panels with speaker inserts,,, but I don't want to go that route. Even if my car isn't 100% correct,,, I'd like the general public to think it is,, so I only want extremely subtle changes(hidden items that only guys,, like you all, would notice).

I'm just trying to plan ahead,,, accumulating parts here & there,,, but I need a lot of direction on which way to go. I'm hoping many of you are willing to help in the process. Though I'm a 30 year mechanic, with many car rebuilds,, I've never leaned toward the Factory Way before,, and am very willing to learn.

Thanks,
Doug

Offline 5F09CNot4Sale

• If it does not fit, you need a bigger hammer!
Re: Rear Speakers
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 11:17:28 AM »
Rear speakers? No. There was a single rear speaker option however. You have to remember this stuff was not even stereo, it was all mono and FM was just really starting to get popular. Most stations were AM.  If you wanted something close to stereo, you had to do a reverb. Someone correct me if I am wrong but was the rare AM/FM not a 66 option (maby late 65) like the 8 track?

Here is the reverb (Studio Sonic Sound System) and what the rear speaker grill looks like

Reverb: http://www.hammar.dyndns.org/cgi-bin/showimg?reverb1.jpg?0?350

And for those that do NOT want to butcher your dash for the Mustang 8 track player Ford had the anwser with the Stero Sonic Sound System. An under dash 8 track player and dash speaker upgrade. Notice at the end of the ad it talks about the variety of speaker kits.

http://www.hammar.dyndns.org/cgi-bin/showimg?8thangad.jpg?0?350

« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 03:59:49 PM by 5F09CNot4Sale »
5F09C3031XX Sept 28 64 Dearborn
5F07F1838XX June 29 64 Dearborn

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 11:48:45 AM »
Brian-
   Do you know if the rear speaker was a Ford factory installed option or a Dealer installed option, or does it matter?

Greg
64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue

Offline 5F09CNot4Sale

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 03:58:35 PM »
I would guess dealer would be most common. I assume the same about the speaker but I have nothing to back that up.

I did look at my 65 Rotunda options catalog. They list an item called "Conventional Rear Seat Speaker" : "Enhance front speaker sound...threeway control allows for mixed or separate speaker turning." The speaker grill (cover) is the same as the one in the reverb picture.

Ford fairlane falcon C5AZ 18875  11.95
Thunderbird           C5SZ 18875-A 13.45
Mustang               C3AZ 18875-A 11.95

And I see why now it looks the same as the reverb speaker, in the reverb verbage, it says rear speaker is extra cost LOL. reverb was $22.95 and $3.75 for a foot switch PLUS the $11.95 for the speaker.

Offline dlsimon212

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 02:59:01 AM »
Awesome info,,, and links!  So now all I have to do is to attempt to find a couple of those covers. I was wondering if the rear fiber board dash panel gets covered with something or not,,,

Thanks, Doug

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 03:25:53 AM »
Did any of the 65 cars have rear speakers in them,,, or did they all come with only the one in the dash?  Seems a bit lame if it's only the one speaker.............

Have to consider (especially if you were not around at the time) that the AM FM was only a mono radio  - and no Ipod jack in sight ;) we were only just beginning to see 8 tracks installed in cars.

Besides you were not going to get really great sound out of the little, tiny magnets and speakers of the time. But we didn't know anything else
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline baflstangobx

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 08:19:15 AM »
There was an AM-8Track option that was stereo.  It placed speakers in the front lower portion of the doors.  The AM-FM was mono and the reverb sounded like your head was in a barrel.

Offline 5F09CNot4Sale

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 08:50:41 AM »
Awesome info,,, and links!  So now all I have to do is to attempt to find a couple of those covers. I was wondering if the rear fiber board dash panel gets covered with something or not,,,

Thanks, Doug

Ebay, they are on there time to time. I have picked up a few and so has a friend of mine. There does seem to be two styles for the grill mesh. One will have rectangles in the mesh the other has more oval cut outs. The rectangle is earler but I have no idea when a cut off date or switch over is.

Offline BIGJOHN

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 01:45:06 PM »
I own a 1965 convertible since 1980. The rear boot has a single speaker mounted in the middle.
I dont know if the car was built with this speaker location. The car is a late 1965 production number.
I had removed the boot because it was getting old, however I saved the boot and speaker.
I just went into my attic garage to look for boot/speaker. I didnt locate it yet.
I know I did save this item, because I thought it was rare.... I keep looking but it might not
be right away. Big John
Mustang nut since 1965. Autocrosser since 1968.
Founder of the Classic Mustang Asociation 1983.
Current owner of a 1965 V8 Convertible since 1980.
Opps.......Also own a Corvette since 1972.
Opps.......Also own a 2009 RT Hemi Challenger,
wife's car. Poor fella. BIG 3