Author Topic: 70 Mach 1 Dearborn rocker molding black out  (Read 4213 times)

Offline 1970 Snake

Re: 70 Mach 1 Dearborn rocker molding black out
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2017, 12:11:30 PM »
Unfortunately my car was repainted in the late 70's and the owner changed the original color from Calypso Coral to a custom mural green, it was a bad repaint and they black out a lot of areas including inside the trunk, but mostly just masked off the body and when I stripped the car down it had coral and green all over the place. I have attached a pre-disassembly photo and two tail panel blackouts. I disassembled the car 10 years ago and did not take detailed photos of the blackouts and other as I was not paying attention at that time and also did not know about the black out areas. I also have two pics that barely show the rocker and front of door areas, fenders removed. At the time was not thinking of a concours type restoration.

Regarding the honeycomb tail panel color and head light bezel inserts, what color should those be, I have seen much discussion but NO definitive answer.

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2017, 02:11:13 PM »
Odd that some of these look brushed on, some look sprayed and some have crisp lines that look like a stencil/tape of some sort was used. And I mean all of the pictures as a whole.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 06:48:48 PM by cobrajet_carl »
Carl

0F05R1173xx C6 A/C Grabber Orange/Black
0F05R1254xx C6 A/C Bright Gold Metallic/Ginger
0F05R1058xx 4sp Yellow/White
0F05Q1394xx 4sp Medium Lime Metallic/Ivy
0F05H1338xx 3sp Red/White
1F05C1238xx 4sp Goldenrod/Ginger
1F05J1345xx 4sp Red/Red

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2017, 02:32:41 PM »
From what I can tell, the tail panel either had a really good fitting stencil or was taped off.
I looks like my pinch welds where blacked out with the mach1 rocker molding mounting strip on the car and where paint all the way up and including the small 1/2" strip on the door sill.
The areas under the mach1 moldings on the doors where bushed and so where the areas in front of them going down to the pinch weld
You need look close at the pictures to see this, wish I had been more knowledgeable at the time I took these pics, would have had much better detail.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2017, 05:03:28 PM »
From what I can tell, the tail panel either had a really good fitting stencil or was taped off.
I looks like my pinch welds where blacked out with the mach1 rocker molding mounting strip on the car and where paint all the way up and including the small 1/2" strip on the door sill.
The areas under the mach1 moldings on the doors where bushed and so where the areas in front of them going down to the pinch weld
You need look close at the pictures to see this, wish I had been more knowledgeable at the time I took these pics, would have had much better detail.

Just to clarify for readers. Yours is a 70 Dearborn Mach I- correct?   What exterior color?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2017, 05:30:27 PM »
That is correct Jeff, built Sept 04, 1969, 428CJ R-code, C6, Calypso Coral c/w white interior.