Author Topic: 70 Mach 1 Dearborn rocker molding black out  (Read 12201 times)

Offline 1970 Snake

Re: 70 Mach 1 Dearborn rocker molding black out
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2017, 12:11:30 PM »
Unfortunately my car was repainted in the late 70's and the owner changed the original color from Calypso Coral to a custom mural green, it was a bad repaint and they black out a lot of areas including inside the trunk, but mostly just masked off the body and when I stripped the car down it had coral and green all over the place. I have attached a pre-disassembly photo and two tail panel blackouts. I disassembled the car 10 years ago and did not take detailed photos of the blackouts and other as I was not paying attention at that time and also did not know about the black out areas. I also have two pics that barely show the rocker and front of door areas, fenders removed. At the time was not thinking of a concours type restoration.

Regarding the honeycomb tail panel color and head light bezel inserts, what color should those be, I have seen much discussion but NO definitive answer.
Dearborn Built Sept 4, 1969
1970 Mach1 428 CJ R-Code C6
Calypso Coral, White Deluxe Interior
dash tach, front bumperettes
Marti report one of one with delay wipers

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2017, 02:11:13 PM »
Odd that some of these look brushed on, some look sprayed and some have crisp lines that look like a stencil/tape of some sort was used. And I mean all of the pictures as a whole.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 06:48:48 PM by cobrajet_carl »
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2017, 02:32:41 PM »
From what I can tell, the tail panel either had a really good fitting stencil or was taped off.
I looks like my pinch welds where blacked out with the mach1 rocker molding mounting strip on the car and where paint all the way up and including the small 1/2" strip on the door sill.
The areas under the mach1 moldings on the doors where bushed and so where the areas in front of them going down to the pinch weld
You need look close at the pictures to see this, wish I had been more knowledgeable at the time I took these pics, would have had much better detail.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2017, 05:03:28 PM »
From what I can tell, the tail panel either had a really good fitting stencil or was taped off.
I looks like my pinch welds where blacked out with the mach1 rocker molding mounting strip on the car and where paint all the way up and including the small 1/2" strip on the door sill.
The areas under the mach1 moldings on the doors where bushed and so where the areas in front of them going down to the pinch weld
You need look close at the pictures to see this, wish I had been more knowledgeable at the time I took these pics, would have had much better detail.

Just to clarify for readers. Yours is a 70 Dearborn Mach I- correct?   What exterior color?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2017, 05:30:27 PM »
That is correct Jeff, built Sept 04, 1969, 428CJ R-code, C6, Calypso Coral c/w white interior.

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2017, 09:55:33 AM »
I have several pictures of my Mach 1 rocker area, not good ones, but they show the blackout on the entire rocker panel up from the pinch weld to the door sill. They also show that the Mach1 rocker molding retaining strips where installed after the car was painted the Calypso Coral body color but before the blackout paint. Have you seen where the blackout was sprayed over the rocker molding retaining strips on any other early built 1970 Mach 1 mustangs?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2017, 06:05:29 PM »
I have several pictures of my Mach 1 rocker area, not good ones, but they show the blackout on the entire rocker panel up from the pinch weld to the door sill. They also show that the Mach1 rocker molding retaining strips where installed after the car was painted the Calypso Coral body color but before the blackout paint. Have you seen where the blackout was sprayed over the rocker molding retaining strips on any other early built 1970 Mach 1 mustangs?

No
Jeff Speegle

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2017, 01:25:59 AM »
Thanks Jeff,
I am going to mount the retainer strip and blackout over it like my original.
Do you have any data/pics on the blackout in the rear wheel tubs?
I understand that in some cases as the car was going down the line and the guy in the pit was spraying the pinch weld blackout they would also spray over the body color in the tub.
I would guess this blackout in the tub would not be a complete blackout especially on the closest inner face to the outside of the car.
Any thoughts on this??

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2017, 06:14:01 PM »
Thanks Jeff,
I am going to mount the retainer strip and blackout over it like my original.
Do you have any data/pics on the blackout in the rear wheel tubs?
I understand that in some cases as the car was going down the line and the guy in the pit was spraying the pinch weld blackout they would also spray over the body color in the tub.
I would guess this blackout in the tub would not be a complete blackout especially on the closest inner face to the outside of the car.
Any thoughts on this??

The jet or worker were not in a pit spraying this details from what I understand and it may (depending on year and plant) may have not been applied by a worker but by a premounted jet that was triggered by the moving body

Normally a spot or area at the front of the rear wheel well and at the start of the rear edge inward and backwards (often ending up on the frame rail) is often found about the size of a fist to out streached hand at both lower areas
Jeff Speegle

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2017, 11:13:05 AM »
Thanks Jeff, I may be mistaking the blackout to undercoating, I am fussing with should I black out my wheel tubs or leave them body color, my gut tells me undercoat and/or blackout so as the body color is not seen behind the wheels just as the blackout work is done on the Mach 1 to not reveal body color between the rocker moldings and on the pinch weld areas. What would be the correct look for the wheel tubs??

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2017, 05:00:05 PM »
...........What would be the correct look for the wheel tubs??

Sine the factory sound deadener was pliable the body color sprayed over it didn't hold up well over time and often most of the color is gone or many of us simply rattle caned over it (or recoated it with undercoating) to improve the looks. Originally the painter applying the exterior color would have applied a nice coat of paint to the fender lip of the rear quarter panel. At least 50% of the spray gun pattern would have typically been sprayed directly over the sound deadener above and next to the fender lip leaving a shadow directly behind the lip.

When the painter next painted the exterior surface of the quarter panel the painter would pass the gun (open and flowing) over the wheel well opening so 100% of all that color would have slowed into and on to most of the sound deadener behind, above, in front of and behind where the wheel would be mounted and onto the exposed frame rail visible in the wheel well. Additionally the overspray would have traveled further inward on to the floors, brackets and other items attached below as it did on the floors and frame rails under the car

IF you check out the article on restoring the undercarriage of a 70 Dearborn Mustang in the 70 Library section this subject is covered  in that article
Jeff Speegle

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2017, 10:34:09 PM »
Jeff thanks for the detailed replay, will also look at the library, am new member so not quite familiar with the site.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2017, 11:03:50 PM »
Jeff thanks for the detailed replay, will also look at the library, am new member so not quite familiar with the site.

Understand even in the relatively short time the site has been up there has been at posted here. Sometimes you have to search it out - glad to help
Jeff Speegle