Author Topic: What Engine Uses A C7AE-6A666-A PCV Valve?  (Read 5533 times)

Offline jwc66k

What Engine Uses A C7AE-6A666-A PCV Valve?
« on: June 16, 2013, 05:21:42 PM »
I found a for sale ad for this PCV valve, C7AE-6A666-A, in a 2012 post on this forum but it gave no application. It has a predominantly stamped "EATON" over the Ford part number. I would like to know what engine uses it. Putting that part number in a big time internet search engine came back with no results, just a couple of "close but no cigar". This, and a lot of other not-required parts, came to me recently in a couple of bags at the conclusion of a friend's 66 hardtop project. The perpetrator of the project, and the bags of parts, didn't know where it came from.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: What Engine Uses A C7AE-6A666-A PCV Valve?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 11:04:17 PM »
That part isn't listed in the MPC for either Ford or Mercury.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 11:58:04 PM »
That part isn't listed in the MPC for either Ford or Mercury.
And yet it exists, sitting on my desk right now. I did look the part number up in Ford Car Parts, plus looked in the Engine Assembly manuals - not listed. Actually, I got a good answer from Fred Ballard, plus a bit of more research on my own, found out it was used on various 67 thru 69 V-8 engines as an original valve from an optional supplier.
Thanks anyway.
Jim   
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 06:11:41 PM »
     I have a C7AE-6A666-B version of that PCV.  The supplier's logo is S,S & C in a segmented circle. It is firmly attached to a metal elbow and don't recall, if I ever knew, where it came from or off of.  My notes say 68-69 Big Block and 69-70 Boss.  Little help ?  Thanks,  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 06:35:02 PM »
Brian,
  Thanks. The best answer is that it is a PCV valve from and alternate vendor. It is not referenced in the Ford Car Parts as service replacements are listed by application, not on a part number to part number basis.
Jim

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 08:54:01 PM »
I found a for sale ad for this PCV valve, C7AE-6A666-A, in a 2012 post on this forum but it gave no application........

The part number is listed in a MPC - Dec 67

C5AZ-6A666-A
C7AZ-6A666- A

65 A, S  2/B 4/B PF, 4/B  352 & 390
66 A 352'S

C5AZ-6A666-A
C7AZ-6A666- A or C

65/67 B & F   2/B & 4/B 289
65/67 B & F   Specials (my note K codes) 289

Just what I found in that  reference
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 12:28:25 AM »
The part number is listed in a MPC - Dec 67

C5AZ-6A666-A
C7AZ-6A666- A

65 A, S  2/B 4/B PF, 4/B  352 & 390
66 A 352'S

C5AZ-6A666-A
C7AZ-6A666- A or C

65/67 B & F   2/B & 4/B 289
65/67 B & F   Specials (my note K codes) 289

Just what I found in that  reference
Thanks Jeff. It looks like it was originally used in the assembly line on small block Mustangs and Fairlanes in 1967 and also supplied as a service part in 67 for 65 and 66 Mustangs and Fairlanes. In later years it was replaced by something else as reflected in my 1972 Ford Car parts book. Just one of many parts that became obsolete.
Jim
And - where is "it"?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 01:45:19 AM »
..............And - where is "it"?

Remember we needed approval .. and we were waiting to make that contact this up coming weekend ?? ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mjd 65

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 09:51:33 PM »
I was going through some parts from my late 65 and I came across the PVC value that was installed at the time I bought the car in 1979. It is the Eaton C7AE-6A66A valve. Obviously, it was used as a service replacement for 65s.
Mel
July 65 silver blue Metuchen hardtop

Offline jcuprisi

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 12:08:19 AM »
The number stamped or printed on a part is an Engineering Number not a Part Number. 6A666 is the basic number of a PCV valve but the prefix and suffix are usually slightly different from the Service Part number.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 12:44:01 AM »
The number stamped or printed on a part is an Engineering Number not a Part Number. 6A666 is the basic number of a PCV valve but the prefix and suffix are usually slightly different from the Service Part number.
Let's see, number C7AE-6A666A (the part is still on my desk) is the part number assigned by the design group, the part number on the drawing, the part number to be marked on the part, the part number on the purchase order for the assembly line, the part number used at incoming inspection, the part number on the build sheet, the part number used by the assembler and the part number at final inspection.
The service number is assigned by an entirely different organization and is most likely created many months after the first cars off the assembly line have been sold. That service number may consolidate several different parts that have the same form, fit or function for different years or product lines. It was not used on the assembly line. If a dealership or distribution center is out of the item, they use the service number. The service number usually refers back to the original engineering document that says to build it this way and to mark the item - C7AE-6A666A. However, if you tried to order a replacement in say 1968 from Ford, the parts guy would order the service number because that's what he was instructed to do.
Jim
PS: I spent many years in Military logistics using and applying the above. 

Offline jcuprisi

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 04:24:21 PM »
Hi, thanks for the response. I honestly cannot tell if I was being burned or not. I'll accept your information as factual. It seems to correspond to my research.

I spent 15 years as a Ford L-M technician. I can still remember a grumpy parts guy setting me straight that the number on the component was an Engineering number and not a Part number. He needed the vehicle application and basic number to look up the correct Service Part Number. Today many prefer the VIN.

It sounds like your experience in the Military was different than my experience at the Dealership.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 08:22:54 PM »
My 'Military Logistics' time was spent at Ford Aerospace. Ford Motor engineering and management could not grasp building 10 or 100 'somethings' in a controlled laboratory environment under a contract for several billion dollars and having to use the government's system to provide extra parts we called 'spares', while they built a couple of million 'somethings' on several assembly lines and then let another group figure out what 'service' parts to use. It was always 'why do you do it that way?' and the answer 'it's in the contract.'
Look at it this way, any number you use that gets you what you want is a good number.
Jim