Author Topic: '67 Factory AC ?s Fuse box location Factory AC vs non AC cars & hose off fan box  (Read 7318 times)

Offline 1965GTFB

'67 FB project
Car was originally non AC
Installing Factory AC from donor(donor car is long gone or I would check there)
New firewall pad from NPD has the screw holes(with no cut-out in the pad) that line up(pretty much) with the two screw holes in the firewall but it also has a cut-out that is about the size and shape of the fuse box but it is up higher on the firewall.  The cut-out is just above and a little to the DS of the knock-out for the AC hoses for dealer installed hang on AC.

So is the fuse box in the same location with either Factory AC or no AC?

Also, the spout on the fan box(looks similar to the drain hose spout on the evap/heater core box), is it supposed have a hose connected to it(would kind of look like the water pump bypass hose)?  If so where does the other end connect to?  I'm remembering on my oldest son's 68 that there was a hose from the fan box to the fan motor.  The motor on this '67 does not any thing that looks like a hose would attach to it.

Offline ruppstang

The fuse block does not change location with or with out AC. The hose connection on the blower case is for blower motor cooling but not all cars had them. It was a premolded hose that would be real tough to find if you do not have one.
Marty

Offline 1965GTFB

Should all '67 fuse boxes have the metal plate, that zig zags up to the left  for the relay to mount on, under them?

Offline Oz390

Should all '67 fuse boxes have the metal plate, that zig zags up to the left  for the relay to mount on, under them?

Do not believe so, only ones I've seen with it are cars with fog lights or AC.  Assuming this is the one you are talking about.  I call it the "Z plate", for lack of a better term...

8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - Cal Special
8F01X : 65A I 2A 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 repli-bute

Offline ruppstang

The breaker /Accessory  plate was used mostly in 68. Could have been used on latter 67's but I have not seen one. The 67 wiring got power off the hot post on the ignition switch and used a in line fuse holder.
Marty

Offline 1965GTFB

Yep, that's the one.  My older son's '68 that we built had it and it was a factory AC car.  The current '67 project was not factory AC but I'm installing factory AC from a donor that is long gone and that's a piece I failed to grab off the donor.  Any thoughts on the best place to find one?  Also, where it is probably makes it a pain to measure it but if you have one you could measure I could make one.

Offline 67gta289

I've just worked on two 67's, Nov and Feb builds, neither had this plate.   As stated this was a 68 thing, possibly late 67.  Take a look at your donor car wiring - if you have the inline fuse, that will pull power from the ignition switch as Marty stated and you don't need the z plate with breaker.  How "correct" do you want to go?  Obviously a period factory Ford system is better than after market or a Ford over the counter/dealer installed add on.  You can certainly stop there.  Next would be related to revisions over time to wiring (as this thread discusses).  Another is related to pulleys, idler, and brackets, particularly with the 289 - there were a lot of changes (see Mannel's book).  What plant, engine, and build date?

Some pics might help. From a Dearborn Dec 66 AC car:

First is the fuse box with no Z plate/circuit breaker
Second is the inline fuse tapped off the ignition switch
Third is a "plate" for mounting a relay that is screwed to the windshield washer motor bracket. A little hard to see this one.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 07:34:13 PM by 67gta289 »
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 1965GTFB

San Jose plant.
5/16/67 build date per the Ford 999 report.
Not sure what the build date was for the donor(long gone) that the AC parts came off of.  I think it ws a SJ palnt car.

Offline Oz390

Yep, the pic I posted is a Dec 67 San Jose GT coupe.  Same in my April 68 GT/CS.

I may have one loose I can measure.  I found someone who had one for sale, not reproduced AFAIK, but easy to make a very close facsimile...
8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - Cal Special
8F01X : 65A I 2A 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 repli-bute

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
If you need a Z plate, I have a nice one from a 68 with the hole for the relay.  PM me or e-mail me.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline 67gta289

Here are pics of a "Z" plate removed from a December built Dearborn car (with AC and convenience control).  As stated previously, this was attached to the wiper arm motor bracket, not next to the fuse panel.   Most of the 67's that have seen are done like this - but most AC cars I've seen are Dearborn and Metuchen.  Could be an early/late thing, and perhaps with transitions different based on the plant. 
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gta289

Here is a picture of the blower motor hose that Marty mentioned.   Marty's comment that not all had them is interesting.  I suppose that the connection on the box would be blanked off with a plug, or perhaps the box was redesigned to eliminate it.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
I've just worked on two 67's, Nov and Feb builds, neither had this plate.   As stated this was a 68 thing, possibly late 67.  Take a look at your donor car wiring - if you have the inline fuse, that will pull power from the ignition switch as Marty stated and you don't need the z plate with breaker.  How "correct" do you want to go?  Obviously a period factory Ford system is better than after market or a Ford over the counter/dealer installed add on.  You can certainly stop there.  Next would be related to revisions over time to wiring (as this thread discusses).  Another is related to pulleys, idler, and brackets, particularly with the 289 - there were a lot of changes (see Mannel's book).  What plant, engine, and build date?

Some pics might help. From a Dearborn Dec 66 AC car:

First is the fuse box with no Z plate/circuit breaker
Second is the inline fuse tapped off the ignition switch
Third is a "plate" for mounting a relay that is screwed to the windshield washer motor bracket. A little hard to see this one.

Interesting picture I just found while researching options for choices on me AC heater motor restoring. This would have been posted before I joined so I just stumbled upon it.

The picture of the relay bracket's mounting position is curious. Maybe a "plant thing" since this is a Dearborn example and no mention of it being GT or with Fog lights. I have my wiper motor & bracket off the car and I have it pre-assembled to go on my 11/2/66 built SJ with options of AC., Convenience Control w/ Low Fuel relay, Tilt-away Wheel, Fog Lights & Deluxe Seat Belts and best to my recollection, pre-assembled closest I know to do. (see pictures attached)

It looks to me that the '67 style plate I have is mounted differently, into other screw holes than the plate that you show here John. Disregard the aftermarket circuit breaker pictured but all pieces I have pictured are where I understood them to go.

Maybe Marty can get a shot of his 11/4/66 SJ example of this detail to possibly shed some light on the arrangement of this bracket on his example.  ???
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 01:59:11 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline ruppstang

Maybe Marty can get a shot of his 11/4/66 SJ example of this detail to possibly shed some light on the arrangement of this bracket on his example.  ???
I'll see what I can do but not as easy to photo in my car as on your floor. ;D

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Here is a picture of the blower motor hose that Marty mentioned.   Marty's comment that not all had them is interesting.  I suppose that the connection on the box would be blanked off with a plug, or perhaps the box was redesigned to eliminate it.

Though we're getting off track a bit I only recall seeing that configuration (motor with the hose)  on 69 with the power vent option (plus other Ford applications)

Guess should be spelled out (unless I missed it some where in the thread) that this is a AC thing in 67-68 rather than a standard heater

Think we should split the thread and chase each down individually (motor and fuse box) ?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)