Author Topic: Cleaning valve covers  (Read 1538 times)

Offline qman

Cleaning valve covers
« on: October 26, 2013, 10:00:32 AM »
I have a set of finned cast aluminum 428 valve covers that need to be restored.  They have no cracks or deep scratches and I was wondering what would be the best method.  I thought about media blasting but I'm concerned that might be too aggressive.  I want them to look the way they did back in 1969.
Thanks,  Qman

Offline Brian Conway

Re: Cleaning valve covers
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 12:53:30 PM »
     I gave up trying to keep the C9ZE-6583 C valve covers clean.  They were difficult to keep clean and would never clean up satisfactorily.  The rough texture was great for attracting all the engine compartment contaminants.  So: I gave up and had them polished.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 07:55:31 PM »
Old style carb cleaner (multiple times with a stiff brush)  Not allot of fun or quick but nice when they are done. I even out the finish with some light acid wheel cleaner and another stiff brush.  Then hit the fins with light sand paper and or polish depending on year and which valve covers they are. Have used WD 40 as a finish the now clean but very porous finish

Use to use walnut hulls in the blaster years ago but they are harder to get hold of now (the plants use to give them away by the truck load years ago - now I think they sell them as fuel for some of the generators. Had so many of them we use to use them as ground cover and walkways around the house
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline qman

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 09:49:40 AM »
Thanks Jeff... guess what I'll be working on Monday.  Qman