Author Topic: 9in housing - 70 Dearborn Markings  (Read 3724 times)

Offline specialfinds

9in housing - 70 Dearborn Markings
« on: February 20, 2010, 06:19:02 PM »
Hi Guys
First thing this is for 15/07/69 dearborn.I see lot of rearends with marks,i'm curious as to what the colors are for the 2 holes on the tube.This tube has 2 holes,i see typical green hobby color,but have seen very light blue at the junction white on the vent,both holes   green,just junction green.Is there a proper color,is it one color for both holes or otherwise------THANKS

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 9in housing
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 07:36:15 PM »
On 70 (built Oct  to Dec 69) I've only have a blue used at both locations. Can't always trust digital cameras but the color in the pictures looks close to Grabber blue IMHO
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline specialfinds

Re: 9in housing - 70 Dearborn Markings
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 03:14:11 PM »
Thanks Jeff
Just seen so many with the hobby green.It's a mid july car but it's still a 69

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 06:36:48 PM »
Thanks Jeff
Just seen so many with the hobby green.

Me too :( Unfortunately too many IMHO owners/shops are just mixing and matching paint marks with no or little regards to when and where they came from. We see them every year. Paint inspectors from NJ, frame markings 65-66 San Jose, radiator support markings from Dearborn.......... ALL ON THE SAME CAR

Had a shop showing a very pretty 67 a few years back and we were finished judging the car when we asked where the paint mark info had come from.  After we pointed out the 66 SJ markings on the frame rails and the 69 Dearborn one on the battery box  he said the owner of the shop like those so he put them one :(  We suggested that the owner enjoy the points that those cost him. 

It was a friendly exchange and we've talked allot since then and judge many of their cars - much improved cars ;)

It's a mid july car but it's still a 69

Sorry the "15/07/69" confused me ;)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 06:40:40 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline tm

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 01:18:25 AM »
Is there photos available indicating the 9in housing markings of a Dearborn Sept. built   '70 Q code Mach 1? Thanks.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 01:34:52 AM »
Is there photos available indicating the 9in housing markings of a Dearborn Sept. built   '70 Q code Mach 1? Thanks.

Sorry not allot of good pictures of original examples if listing the common ones would help just ask.  The ones often found on the bottom of the housings are often destroyed from years of wear and jacks - those are the most difficult ones to figure out IMHO
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 12:52:38 AM »
Is there photos available indicating the 9in housing markings of a Dearborn Sept. built   '70 Q code Mach 1?

Catching back up

The problem is that we find similar marks on some rearend and on other examples we find marks that are different or "new" . I've made a practice of only sharing those that appear to be the common, repetitive and documented ones. The others can wait until we find some additional supporting information IMHO

As always its safer not to put any marks that to include marks that should not be there. Consider that others owners may be looking at and coping :( the marks on your car - repeating your mistake (if it is incorrect) over and over again. Just a consideration IMHO

The markings that I've seen for a 70 9" rear end housing are as follows - hope this helps

1- The markings on the bottom of the housing (directly below where the 3rd member would mount)  are normally seen in white or a yellow. Most of the time these are destroyed by the elements or by floor jacks.  Letters are large, applied with what looks like a 1/2" brush and are fairly sloppy. No real pattern as they can include numbers and letters or what looks to be all letters.  On many of the housings we see (white or yellow also) a two digit what may be a letter and number on the rear face (back side of where the third member attaches),   Not allot of examples so no  pattern can be defined at this time

2- Commonly seen is a somewhat small "31" with a line under it to the upper right (looking at the housing straight on from the front) where the center is welded to the drivers side tube. Only seen this done (this year) in white brush or large roller tip painter

3- For your year and application I've also seen the tag or rear axle identifier code written white along the passenger side tube (between the spring clamp location and the center section)  on the rear surface of the tube.  Example would be 981  The code can be found on the buildsheet or on the rear end tag

4-  On a few of 9" 70 rear ends We've found "B' written on the forward face of the rear end housing between where the large u bolts would be placed. Applied in white paint and written upside down from the way the rearend was installed into the car

5- Indicates the blue axle vent and or rear brake junction brake (depending on application one or two locations) mentioned in the thread above

These are the ones I've seen a number of times - as mentioned there are others but those I've only found on individual assemblies and not repeated so far in the research
Jeff Speegle