Author Topic: Axle hub paint marks  (Read 1670 times)

Offline somethingspecial

• 1968 GT/CS Registrar mikej@bigbytes.com
Axle hub paint marks
« on: November 21, 2013, 10:32:07 AM »
OK folks, I know I am repeating a question here, but I must satisfy a question that has been bugging me for some time.  Growing up in the SF Bay Area, I remember seeing several Ford cars with blue paint on the axle ends.  I brought this up before, and Jeff suggested it may be a 68’ thing and suggested it was for an axle length or spline indicator.  I only remember the blue marks on 28 spline axles, but saw them on my mothers 58’ Fairlane 500, my grandmothers 63’ Galaxy, and several other Ford cars that were in my cousins auto repair shop.

I found blue paint trace on my 68’ non GT J code Mustang, as well as both axles from my 68’ 9 inch Mustang, again, 28 spline.   A Picture in Paul M. Newitt’s 2011 GT/CS Mustang Recognition Guide and Owners Manual, Page 75, shows a GT/CS sitting on the secure lot behind the San Jose Ford Plant without hubcaps.  It clearly shows light color paint in the hub of the axle.  Can’t tell what color it is as the photo is black and white.  I wish I could post the picture here, but it is copyrighted.

Since I remember seeing the blue paint on different size cars, it suggests the paint does not indicate axle length.  My thought was the paint indicates a competed/adjusted axle/brake assembly, applied by a final assembly inspector.  I do not remember seeing blue paint on 31 spline axles, which throws a kink in the belief of final inspection mark.

Has anyone found the blue paint on any of their un-restored axle assemblies or know what this paint means?  Most of the time, the paint is obscured by rust or grime.  Not something that would be removed with normal brake repair.

Thanks in advance for your input.  Mike
Your friendly neighborhood 1968 GT/CS Registrar

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Axle hub paint marks
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 06:37:39 PM »
Here is what I've got that matches

8R01J1614xx  - Drivers side rear axle - mark inside the depression at the end of the axle

8T02  Feb 13th built car 9" rearend drivers side axle end, on face

Have some other colors other axles same location and on other surfaces  -  but not enough to identify a pattern yet

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rodster

Re: Axle hub paint marks
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 03:08:37 PM »
Not blue paint but I have white on both axle hubs on my Feb 7th 67 Dearborn car.

Also saw what appears to be pink or white on a 8T02 Feb car.
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A