Author Topic: Power Top Fuse Wire Junction Block  (Read 9251 times)

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
Power Top Fuse Wire Junction Block
« on: February 21, 2010, 05:56:39 PM »
I getting ready to restore my original power top fuse block which mounts next to the starter solenoid.  Originally it had paper crimped under the tabs of the metal support pieces (Picture #1) at each end of the block. The remaining paper is missing and I've seen it all kind of different ways. I show three other pictures of ways I've seen it (see below). Any ideas which is correct? Anyone have a picture of an original with the paper still intact?

Thanks,
Dave

« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 02:41:41 PM by Twilight65 »
65 Coupe Dearborn Scheduled Build July 9,1965 289/C4
66 Sprint Conv. Dearborn Scheduled Build May 13, 1966 200/C4

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: Power Top Fuse Block
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 06:19:08 PM »
OK I'm bumping this back up. Surely someone has an opinion or has seen an original. Just looking to get my restored part back to concours.

Thanks,
Dave

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 07:52:05 PM »
Dave:
I was asking this exact same question a few months ago on another forum before I found this one.

When I saw the FORD drawing... that was the definitive answer for me.

Just keep in mind,  it is a "cartoon" so don't take the roundness of the humps as gospel.  I'm sure the Virginia Mustang part can be rolled a little to look more like the FORD drawing.

All this is MY OPINION.  I'm not a judge.
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 10:43:19 PM »
Thanks for your input Bryan. I assembled all the original re-plated parts and the new board and paper today. I used the Ford Illustration as a guide. I think its looks pretty good. In the picture below I haven't re-crimped the edges yet just in case someone else chimes in the next day or so. The bolts on the ends are just holding everything together for now. I've looked myself at a lot of 66 convertibles but most don't even have the block anymore, they've just connect the wires together.

Dave

Offline JimL

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 10:05:05 PM »
Dave.  I'm curious about your original block.  I looks like the board was a different material than what we have now.  Was the board material really a fiberglass material (as we can buy now) or was it a black bakelite type material?  Studying the Osborn Ford books, and I'm not questioning what was on your car, it shows the screws as 42381-S2.  These screws are the #10-16 hex washer head which are 3/4" long. The nut and lock washer on the center stud are shown as being finished as S36 (zinc plate plus chromate).  My July 66 Metuchen car had these 'D' marked hex head screws holding mine down, but the board was replaced with today's after market version when I bought it.  I hope someone can shed some light on what an original C5TB-14448-B Junction block looks like!  Jim
66 Signalflare Red GT Conv. 'A' code 289, 4 spd T-10, AC, PS, PT, black deluxe interior
Built July 20 @ Metuchen, NJ plant

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 10:57:57 PM »
JimL,

If I am not mistaken, the original ones were of a reddish-brown material called phenolic.

HIGH PRESSURE LAMINATED PHENOLIC
Commonly called “Micarta”, a trademark of Westinghouse. Laminated sheets, tube and rods are produced in many grades, sizes and colors. These laminates combine a base material- canvas, linen, paper, glass cloth or Nylon cloth, with a resin-phenolic, melamine, epoxy or silicone, under high heat and pressure to produce a new material with specific characteristics. These characteristics vary with the grade and its use.

GRADE L (Linen Base)
PHENOLIC SHEET
Used for precision machining and high strength applications.
Sheet Size: 36" x 48".
Sold in 6" x 6", 6" x 12", 12" x 12", etc. pieces only.

Electrical-Grade Fiberglass (GPO3)

Finish
 Color: Opaque red
Temperature Range:  0° to 284° F
Tensile Strength: Excellent
Impact Strength: Excellent
 Good electrical insulator
Use indoors
Machine with carbide tooling
Hardness: Barcol 50
    Fiberglass-reinforced polyester combines electrical insulation properties with high strength, making it an excellent choice for electrical applications. Also known as polyester-grade industrial laminate, it is sometimes considered part of the phenolic/Garolite family. Meets UL 94V0. 
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 11:03:47 PM »
Jim & Bryan,
 The original material was some type of electrical grade bakelite or micarta. I have been building transformers for about 30 years and we use all kinds of these materials. The original block was discolored (black) but under the metal parts it was brown.  So I decided the closest thing to it that I've had experience with was the micarta because it has the glass woven fibers in it as I could see in the original piece. I believe these to be the original mounting screws (#8 -15 x 5/8” pan head with S2 finish), as I purchased the car from a person who had bought it from the original owner. Who let it sit for a few months before I purchased it.  The nut and lockwasher do show remains of a silver finish. I was also hoping someone may have more information or an original photo with the kraft paper which was crimped/pressed in as shown with mine.  The metal parts did have the part number you mentioned stamped into the brackets (picture below). Thanks for your input.

Dave

Offline JimL

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 11:23:52 PM »
Now we're getting somewhere!  Awesome engineering specs and descriptions!  Anyone want to discuss the attaching screws?  Phillips head or hex head?  What assembly plant did they come from?   
 Final question: Does 'Micarta' look like the aftermarket boards or not really?
Good discussion guys...jim 
66 Signalflare Red GT Conv. 'A' code 289, 4 spd T-10, AC, PS, PT, black deluxe interior

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 11:34:37 PM »
Jim,
There are so many grades of micarta. The after market ones I've seen do look like some types of micarta I've seen. I chose a type that when cut had a darker edge (just because I liked it better). Some when cut have a light or white edge. Of course my car is a May Dearborn.

Dave

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 02:15:29 PM »
Jim & Dave,

I have a picture of a 67 NOS junction block on my home computer. I will try to post it this weekend.

A few points from my observations...
The engineering numbers & fomoco logo are stamped on the two metal parts like in the picture posted (reproductions do not have this).
The junction block was attached to the inner fender panel with hex head machine screws. I have never seen an original attached with phillips head screws.
The thin cardboard insulator was crimped with the micarta type base to the two metal ends. This insulator does not have soft bends like in pictures 1 & 2 of your one post or like the picture of the reproduction you posted later. The bends are sharp and crisp. Also, the insulator is much taller than the pictures. The purpose of the insulator was to prevent the accidental grounding of the two wires.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 02:55:03 PM »
Pete, that would be great if you could post a picture. This is just what I've been looking for.Thanks for all your information so far.
Dave

Offline JimL

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 06:55:49 PM »
Pete,  Thanks and we'll be waiting on your pictures.  My car was a late 66 so maybe that's why I had the hex head screws...? Jim

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 07:36:35 PM »
First time posting a picture. It is slightly blurry, but I think it covers the points well. I noticed that the folds are not as crisp as I remembered, but more crisp than the picture already posted.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 08:34:12 PM »
Pete,
Thanks for the picture, you did good. Now I can finish mine. Looks like also there were some notch's on the micarta board in the middle. My original was missing part of the board in the middle. I thought it had just fell a part over time. Now I see it was supposed to be that way.

Again Thanks,
Dave

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: Power Top Fuse Wire Junction Block
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 11:01:19 PM »
I completed rebuilding my original junction block today. Many thanks to everyone for there input, especially Pete with his photo of a NOS block. I posted before and after photo's. I will also post dimensional sketches for those that will also rebuild theirs.

Dave