Author Topic: '65 Sway Bar End Links  (Read 4174 times)

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
'65 Sway Bar End Links
« on: March 05, 2010, 06:08:35 PM »
When my car was restored they installed end links that look to have been some type of shiney untreated metal (the "bolt" nuts, and washers)-(which have rusted)                I ordered the "concours correct" ones from NPD and they are a kind of blackish-gray finished "bolt" and washers, and the nuts look to be aluminum...(they are an AMK product) does the finish I've described sound right?-Thanks!

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: '65 Sway Bar End Links
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 11:25:27 PM »
The finish does sound correct on the AMK hardware kit you purchased. The nuts are zinc plated not aluminum. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 10:44:50 AM »
Thanks Bob! I really believe that the folks at AMK have done their homework! I've never had any problems with their hardware. I wonder how long that these concours end link kits have been available? I got it from NPD and there is a small sticker that says "new" on the label....

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 11:39:24 AM »
AMK has had the kit available for some years now. It was probably new to the NPD's offerings. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 02:18:17 PM »
Thanks again Bob!! So what are we thinking the finish is on the bolts, and washers in the AMK concours kit?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 11:13:27 PM »
Thanks again Bob!! So what are we thinking the finish is on the bolts, and washers in the AMK concours kit?
The bolts and washers are bare steel or zinc phosphate or a combination of the two. Usually the AMK kits have the washers zinc phosphate plated and the bolt slightly darkened bare steel. Bob

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 09:51:02 AM »
Will I need to put anything further on these parts to help preserve them them? (again, good looking stuff!)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 03:55:21 PM »
Will I need to put anything further on these parts to help preserve them them? (again, good looking stuff!)
Short answer-yes. We were just discusing the metal preservatives on another thread.  You can do a search . There are multiple options to choose from. Bob

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 05:27:21 PM »
I was following that thread and I will certainly put something on them as I install them.

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 12:22:13 AM »
I was trying to get my sway bar ('65 conv) on today and discovered that the bolts in the AMK kit were nearly 1 1/2" longer than my originals.  (kit #F2945) Is this normal or did I get the wrong bolts in the package?  Everything looks great, just way too long!
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 08:31:35 PM »
I am ashamed to admit that my AMK kit is still in the package and not on my car as intended so sorry, I can't help-yet.

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 11:53:28 PM »
Thanks anyhow- I'm calling AMK on Monday to ask if I even have the correct kit.  I couldn't find this number, "F2945," kit on their website; not sure really what I have...
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"