Author Topic: How do you remove paint from plastic/interior panels?  (Read 4382 times)

Offline 1970Mach1

How do you remove paint from plastic/interior panels?
« on: August 24, 2014, 03:26:01 PM »
I've seen this very topic on here from March 2013 and was wondering if any new techniques or ideas have come up since then. All of my interior parts were originally red and have been painted black. Luckily every piece in the car is in outstanding condition. So, as long as I can get the black paint stripped off I should be good to go. Anxiously waiting to getting started on this project so any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 10:50:44 PM by J_Speegle »
1970 Mach 1
Metuchen Plant
351-2V Engine

Offline jwc66k

Re: How do you remove paint from plastic?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 04:29:39 PM »
First, don't sand, wire brush or use any abrasives. Some of the plastic parts you are concerned about have a mold release as part of the material as a manufacturing aid, get the part out of the mold. The fiberglass may also have built in mold release. What that may do is assist you in removing the black paint. Paint don't stick to mold release parts well (unless a solvent is used to get rid of the mold release prior to painting). Your goal should also include not adversely affecting the grain on the items. Some of the products I've tried are: Krud Kutter , a paint remover available from Home Depot; Jasco, another paint remover also from Home Depot; Goof Off, this is a LAST resort paint remover. As always, try some on a small spot and if you are not happy with the results, don't go further. Try something else. For tools, a plastic sponge, scrub brush, towels.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 07:37:38 PM »
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 07:53:39 PM by 69cobrajetrugae2 »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 08:09:11 PM »
I've seen this very topic on here from March 2013 and was wondering if any new techniques or ideas have come up since then. All of my interior parts were originally red and have been painted black. Luckily every piece in the car is in outstanding condition. So, as long as I can get the black paint stripped off I should be good to go. Anxiously waiting to getting started on this project so any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks in advance!
what I have successfully used for many years on interior parts is to get a spray gun and give the part a lacquer thinner  bath. Let it sit for a few minutes and then scrub with a stiff PLASTIC brush. Rinse with lacquer thinner and repeat process . Repeat until part is stripped. You must have a lot of ventilation as it will get you high as well as pose a fire risk . Don't do this in a basement where there maybe a pilot light. I always do it in a large open shop. Others have their successful ways but this has worked best for me . I hope it helps.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 08:13:01 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 10:34:27 PM »
I've had luck with easy off oven clearer used cold. Use hand and eye protection as always  (its a lye based product) and plenty of good ventilation

If a little scrubbing is needed to get all the nooks and crannies use an old tooth brush or cheap paint brush in circular patterns

Just what worked well for me on the last fastback rear interior panels
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1970Mach1

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 10:40:02 PM »
Thanks everyone for all the input. Its appreciated!
1970 Mach 1
Metuchen Plant
351-2V Engine

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 07:15:29 AM »
I've had luck with easy off oven clearer used cold. Use hand and eye protection as always  (its a lye based product) and plenty of good ventilation

If a little scrubbing is needed to get all the nooks and crannies use an old tooth brush or cheap paint brush in circular patterns

Just what worked well for me on the last fastback rear interior panels
That's Easy Off HD variant.  You must look closely to ensure it has lye in the list of ingredients, as it is lye that is the key to the paint stripping.  Not all EO products will work.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline ajd350

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 10:25:13 AM »
Another option is Super Clean degreaser/cleaner. It will remove most paints without harm to plastics. Not recommended to soak overnight, as it may degrade the surface after that long.
MCA #2254

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 11:45:07 AM »
Another vote for Easy Off HD.  But like Jeff said, wear a mask!!  You don't want to breathe this stuff in. 
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 04:35:08 PM »
... wear a mask!!  You don't want to breathe this stuff in.

OH! that explains some of my problems  :o
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 1forfords

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 10:06:35 PM »
I recently stripped the interior fiberglass panels on my 65 fb. I tried the easy-off method with very little success. I found a product that worked great,  ZinsserĀ®
Magic StripĀ® Citrus-Action Gel. I left it on overnight, then took a stiff nylon brush to it followed by a water rinse and more brushing. Worked great and didn't harm the fiberglass or the grain.