Author Topic: Front Parking lights not working on '67  (Read 2312 times)

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• 1964 1/2 K code coupe and 2022 GT500 HE
Front Parking lights not working on '67
« on: August 16, 2014, 11:01:24 AM »
When I pull the light switch out for the parking lights, the rear work, but the front do not.  The front work for the turn signals, the sockets are correct and new, as are the wiring harnesses, the bulbs are yellow 1157s with dual filaments like they should be.  Is the problem in the switch or someplace else?  Thanks for any tips.
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Front Parking lights not working on '67
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 08:24:45 PM »
Parking lights only are lit with the headlight switch pulled out to the center notch: they turn off when the switch is fully pulled out.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 08:49:23 PM »
Parking lights only are lit with the headlight switch pulled out to the center notch: they turn off when the switch is fully pulled out.

So I would say the obvious question is, do they work like they should, like Randy is saying,  or not at all, even in the "park light" position?

They are on their own circuit and if you are not getting any power EVER at the front, power begins at the switch, then through the connection to the headlamp harness, the wiring between there and the connector to the park lights themselves, and then park lamps and sockets.

Ford began operating the park lamps with the headlamps ALSO, when? Wasn't it in 1970? Everything before then should operate only with the switch half pulled.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• 1964 1/2 K code coupe and 2022 GT500 HE
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 09:38:03 PM »
Right, the front do not work in the parking light position, half out, the rear lights do.  they work with the turn signals on. They are not on with the light switch pulled fully out, just the headlights and the rear lights.  So should I replace the switch?
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 12:38:32 AM »

So should I replace the switch?

If it were me, I'd drop the switch down, plugged in and test it and move out from there if it tests good. Doubtful the switch is bad, but it IS almost 50 years old. Testing is free and if it is good, a new one is only a new one with the same problem.

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments