Author Topic: Retainer - Vinyl Roof 66  (Read 5769 times)

Offline sally_66

Retainer - Vinyl Roof 66
« on: March 30, 2010, 11:44:28 AM »
Hallo ... my name is Matthias I am on to restore a 66 Notchback (San Jose) to factory new condition.

I life and do my job in Coburg - Bavaria - Germany  ;)

I am glade to find so many information in that forum, so I hope you also will help me by an actuell question:

"Do anybody now what material is part-number C5ZB-6553728-A ... its the Retainer of the Vinyl Roof Top which is fixed with Rivets on the body
to hold down the Vinyl Top ... until now I can not find the part for aftermarket so I think I had to built it new  ;) ... 

perhaps you have answer ???

Yours

Matthias
Mustang 1966 Notchback . C-Code . San Jose

Offline sally_66

Re: Retainer - Vinyl Roof 66
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 12:27:01 PM »
 :o nobody any idea ???

Matthias

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 12:57:36 PM »
The vinyl top retainer strip was originally made of aluminum.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline sally_66

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 03:54:50 PM »
Now I found information that the retainer might be installed not at every car with an factory original vinyl-top !?

That might be an explanation about the fact that I got the original flute in the c-pillar but note the holes for the rivets in the molding area for the retainer ...

What do you think about that theorie ?

Yours

Matthias

Offline sparky65

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 11:32:32 PM »
Now I found information that the retainer might be installed not at every car with an factory original vinyl-top !?

That might be an explanation about the fact that I got the original flute in the c-pillar but note the holes for the rivets in the molding area for the retainer ...

What do you think about that theorie ?

Yours

Matthias

From what I understand if your car had the vinyl roof from the factory it would usually have the retainer.  If the dealer added it it may not have the retainer since they would have to drill the holes.  The retainer was like extra insurance that the roof wouldn't curl but once the drip rail was filled with sealant there was little chance it would anyway.
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 02:19:33 AM »
The strip (riveted) was a running change. Not sure of the change date but it was listed in the TSB articles to inform/warn the shops
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 06:24:43 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline sally_66

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 05:22:02 AM »
Dear Jeff and thanx for info ...

What do you mean with TSB's ? .... and
Is the flute in the c-pillar on it´s own an 100% sign for an Vinyl-Top-Mustang in 1966 San Jose - without the holes for the rivets ? ... ( I bought the car with the second paint without Vinyl ... so I will be sure if it is correct to install by my restoration ...

Matthias

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 05:53:30 AM »
TSB's = Technical Service Bulletins.  Here's a link to list from 1966 to 1973.

http://www.fordification.com/tsb/index.php
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 06:12:49 AM by Twilight65 »
65 Coupe Dearborn Scheduled Build July 9,1965 289/C4
66 Sprint Conv. Dearborn Scheduled Build May 13, 1966 200/C4

Offline swedestang

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 02:17:42 PM »
Matthias
I have some pictures of how it looks with these aluminum retainer installed.
Mail me and I can send you some pics.

Offline JKWilson

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 11:23:22 PM »
Having read the TSB that Jeff mentioned, I'd agree with it being a running change. I think that the TSB has caused some confusion though of when the running change occurred however. It also indicates the strips had been installed, but the running change was actually whether they were installed with rivets or not. This is supported by how the TSB is worded.

Based on the factory vinyl top 65/66 coupes I have owned or been able to examine closely, the strip was present in all of them. My current coupe is a late '66 Dearborn car with a factory vinyl top, strips (though they're long gone), and rivets. Again, based on the TSB, I believe the strip being riveted in was discontinued during late '67 or early '68 production. Problems  with the strip coming loose prompted the TSB to instruct they begin riveting them again.

Here's a link to read the TSB: http://www.fordification.com/tsb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=602&p=613&hilit=vinyl#p613
'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 08:55:58 AM »
Dredging up this old topic...

Having read the TSB that Jeff mentioned, I'd agree with it being a running change. I think that the TSB has caused some confusion though of when the running change occurred however. It also indicates the strips had been installed, but the running change was actually whether they were installed with rivets or not. This is supported by how the TSB is worded.

Based on the factory vinyl top 65/66 coupes I have owned or been able to examine closely, the strip was present in all of them. My current coupe is a late '66 Dearborn car with a factory vinyl top, strips (though they're long gone), and rivets. Again, based on the TSB, I believe the strip being riveted in was discontinued during late '67 or early '68 production. Problems  with the strip coming loose prompted the TSB to instruct they begin riveting them again.

Here's a link to read the TSB: http://www.fordification.com/tsb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=602&p=613&hilit=vinyl#p613

+1 on this understanding ^^^, I would be willing to contribute that AT LEAST UP TO EARLY NOVEMBER 1966, San Jose was still using the early, FULLY RIVETED DOWN (ALUMINUM?) STRIPPING, not yet using the version that the TSB is discussing, which is the "Snap-In" stainless steel version and is NOT sealed over the top so the stainless trim is fully visable (again, the LATER version is stainless steel)

The 1967 Interior Assembly manual has this same engineering number shown to fit '67's also.

My 11/2/66 built 67 Coupe had these on it and I have lost them along the way (though I thought for sure I had saved them)

It would seem I felt the later, or what I might call 'the 68 version' was what I must have initially preferred before choosing to do a more Concours restoration because I have a pair of those in my spare parts, they are the stainless steel variety and the ones I have are not kinked and not drilled (as per the TSB)

I suppose I should use what came on my car and offer these to another who has the later version.

I could use ideas on how to procure a good used set or manufacture a reproduction set.

PM me if interested in the stainless version
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 09:21:19 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2016, 09:31:37 AM »

I could use ideas on how to procure a good used set or manufacture a reproduction set.

PM me if interested in the stainless version

BUMP!

FWIW, since I know I did have these strips at one time, I am not sure they were "aluminum", I recall them as steel, possibly zinc plated.

Some of the holes in the strips, as I recall, were slotted. These slotted holes adds to my belief that it was quite possible the holes in the drip rail itselft were already present (pre-drilled) before the vinyl roof went on. The slotted holes in this strip would aide in aligning before pulling the pop-rivets in.

Further note: The pop rivets on this design (65-early 67 design) were inserted from below (verified in illustrations of the 67 Assembly manual plus I know without a doubt my 11/67 SJ built car was from below originally), not from above as the Service bulletin discusses.

I could try and have a pair made up but it would be good to verify the correct material and thickness before I try this.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 09:41:12 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments