Author Topic: Can i remove only the antenna mast on my 73  (Read 2519 times)

Offline gtcs1

Can i remove only the antenna mast on my 73
« on: September 24, 2014, 10:52:27 PM »
I need to remove the antenna mast to allow me installing on my car  cover a grommet for the antenna correctly centered on the antenna.

I don't want to remove the whole antenna. I heard the 73 mast alone could be removed. I tried by taping the mast to protect it and using pliers, but it does not turn at all. Any tricks

Thanks

Offline jwc66k

Re: Can i remove only the antenna mast on my 73
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 12:18:59 AM »
Put the car cover on except where the antenna would stick thru, on three fenders and mark that spot. It only need to be close. Remove the cover, punch the hole and install the grommet. I've done about a dozen that way. I also recommend that you install a piece of "backing" material (thin leather, canvas, old jeans) about 2 inch by 2 inch on the under side. That's the way my grandfather did it.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline gtcs1

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 11:04:18 PM »
Thanks for the tip, i may try it if that removal is not practical.

I see they sell the mast alone, just in case one want to replace it. So it must be do-able without having to remove the base from the fender.

Anyone's done that? That would me my prefereed choice.

Thanks

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 06:49:27 AM »
Thanks for the tip, i may try it if that removal is not practical.

I see they sell the mast alone, just in case one want to replace it. So it must be do-able without having to remove the base from the fender.

Anyone's done that? That would me my prefereed choice.

Thanks

Short answer is if there is NO HEX HEAD ON THE MAST NEAR THE BASE, NO. If there is a hex head, a boxed 6 point could be tried but corrosion could prevent it from turning and it could snap off.

http://www.nationalpartsdepot.com/store/products/mustang_mast_radio_antenna_repro-103221-5685.html

The above image indicates there could or SHOULD be a hex head on your 73 Mustang.

If you are set on removing the antenna and the mast only, doesn't or will not come off, you will need to remove the base from the fender. (going by memory, so others should be able to confirm before assuming this following suggestion) the stainless square cover on the base snaps loose using a small blade flat screwdriver next to the depressions (or dimples) on the front or back edge of the cover. Underneath you will find either 2 or 4 phillips screws holding the mast base to the fender.
If you wish to go one step further, you could also disconnect the antenna cable from the mast by using something with a rounded jaw (standard pliers or rounded jaw vise grips) and clasp the cable end (pot metal section)  and rotate back and forth while pulling out to disconnect. This should work if corrosion is not an issue. All of this only takes a couple minutes if corrosion is not any issue. If something breaks, then you will be hunting a whole antenna.

Again, I haven't done this in a while and cannot confirm that ALL square base antennas disconnect this way for all years and all Fords. I have done this countless times working in a salvage yard and I could tell you more with a good quality image than I could just reading text on a computer. I also seem to remember there was another design that had a pot metal nut (identified with flat sides on the nut near the base of the mast, without a snap-off cover) but again, if memory serves, that was later, like in the later 70's early 80's cars.

For me, seeing what you have would help answer it because my knowledge is on Ford vehicles in general, ALL YEARS,... NOT just 73 Mustangs.

Richard
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 07:14:55 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline gtcs1

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 09:54:14 AM »
Mine doesn't have the hex base, just round. So I won't try to mess with removing it then, and take a chance to break something.

I'll try the method in the first reply from jwc66k, thanks

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 04:13:50 PM »
The irony is I had a new car cover on order and finally got around to putting it on my 66 Fastback. Here's what I did to install the antenna grommet:
1. Tools. A marking pen (not shown yet), an appropriate size punch, a lead backing plate, hammer (not shown) and a grommet. This grommet came from on of my old covers.
2. Do a "dry" fit of the cover on your car. Push it up as close to the antenna as you can. Note the seam. I matched it up on both sides to the body for centering. Avoid punching the hole on the seam.
3. Marked, and again, note the seam.
4. Remove the cover, punch the hole, make a "doubler" from some other cloth material (my grandfather's way - he was an upholsterer). It will keep the grommet from coming out and should keep scratches to a minimum. You could sew it to the cover if you got ambitious.
5. Finished. For outside storage I put a 1/2 inch dia. capped PVC pipe of an appropriate length over the antenna with a 1/2 to 3/4 inch pipe adapter at the base to keep rain out. It works.
Jim 
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline gtcs1

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 11:35:29 AM »
Thanks a lot Jim, very descriptive.

Pierre