Author Topic: Firewall pad fastener removal  (Read 1688 times)

Offline willie27

Firewall pad fastener removal
« on: October 19, 2014, 01:05:39 AM »
Newbie here. Just recently bought a 67 Fastback - a car I have been dreaming about for 30+ years - and have been doing some work on the interior.  Wondering if someone might be able to advise if there is a method of removing the firewall pad fasteners without destroying them.  I have attempted a few different searches and haven't been able to come across the topic.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Garth 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Firewall pad fastener removal
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 09:22:08 PM »
Get someone to help you by pushing on the engine compartment or wheelwell side while you guide and provide a little additional pull to the operation

If you use a tool or pry from the inside on the metal style ones its pretty easy to tear the top round plate off
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 06:51:25 AM »
I've gently squeeze the barbs together at the firewall and push the fastener into the vehicle.  If you go this route you need to do this a few times as it is indexed with barbs along the post.

Once removed I use a dental pick to pull the barbs back out for reinsertion later.

The ones I have seen appear to be phosphate and oil based on the head protected in the interior.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline willie27

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 06:45:29 PM »
Thanks - I'll give it a try.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 07:13:35 PM »
Gee, I found some small 1/4 deep socket (sockets with an internal lip, some sockets do not have this lip, mine are Snap-On) that fit over them, added a 1/4" extension bar and gave 'em all one swift smack with a brass hammer...They all just popped through and yet looked rather re-usable. (maybe need the barbs straightend as John mentioned, I didn't look yet that closely)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments