Author Topic: Heater blower test  (Read 2056 times)

Offline slk25

Heater blower test
« on: October 19, 2014, 06:41:16 PM »
I have a 66 non-ac heater from SJ
I am trying to determine if my 3position switch is bad or the resistor block
The current symptoms are only two of three speeds and the resistor seems to have a short so all the blades seem to show almost no resistance when I put the vom on them
Any clues would be helpful.
January 28 1966 Dearborn manufactured hardtop 289 2v 3spd manual

Offline jwc66k

Re: Heater blower test
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 08:47:42 PM »
The dash mounted switch selects the speed from the resistor block by providing a ground. It's been a while, but pull the three pin plug, leave the single pin wire attached, and with the ignition switch to the accessory position, ground each of the three terminals with a jumper wire. If the resistors are OK the fan will operate. Power to the fan comes from the ignition switch, thru a fuse, out to the engine compartment to the fan, the return line is that single wire on the resistor block so don't be concerned with sparks or blowing a fuse.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline slk25

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 12:37:33 AM »
Thank you, I will try that

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 08:04:47 PM »
     On the subject of heater the blower switch;  The 65 Owners Manual  pg. 43 states that the switch has three positions HIGH, OFF and LOW in that order left to right.  The switch in my mid May 65, San Jose GT has four positions.  It seems the positions are; OFF, LOW, MEDIUM and HIGH.  I don't have a 66 Owners Manual so would someone care to verify those positions ?  The 66 Shop Manual does not address this.  The Three or Four position dash controls may be relevant to the poster's question ?  Brian
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 08:17:55 PM by Brian Conway »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 10:12:36 PM »
Only the 64.5's and early 65's had two speed heaters.  After the transition to the later style (March???), all heater blower motors were three speeds.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline slk25

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 10:25:40 PM »
Thank you guys
I did the grounding resistor test and got three speeds from the motor
I replaced the switch and now have good operation without wiggling the switch handle to turn on

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 02:39:51 AM »
     On the subject of heater the blower switch;  The 65 Owners Manual  pg. 43 states that the switch has three positions HIGH, OFF and LOW in that order left to right.  The switch in my mid May 65, San Jose GT has four positions.  It seems the positions are; OFF, LOW, MEDIUM and HIGH.  I don't have a 66 Owners Manual so would someone care to verify those positions ?  The 66 Shop Manual does not address this.  The Three or Four position dash controls may be relevant to the poster's question ?  Brian
There are several different revised editions of the 65 Mustang owners manuals that no doubt were done to address this and other issues.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby