Author Topic: Coil Spring Finish  (Read 5856 times)

Offline Building 3

Coil Spring Finish
« on: October 20, 2014, 12:45:28 PM »
What is the current thinking on the finish of the front coil springs?  The MCA rules state semi-gloss black or "may be natural."  Unfortunately my springs were previously spray painted gloss black sometime in the past. This would be for a Dearborn 1965 build of a C-Code automatic without A/C. Thank you
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Coil Spring Finish
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 05:51:41 PM »
What is the current thinking on the finish of the front coil springs?  The MCA rules state semi-gloss black or "may be natural."  Unfortunately my springs were previously spray painted gloss black sometime in the past. This would be for a Dearborn 1965 build of a C-Code automatic without A/C. Thank you
Current thinking is that they came both ways. Semi gloss black evidence on some ,dark heat treated (natural?) spring steel on many others (what I have seen most 65-67 SJ ). I think that the painted was more prevalent in the later years 68-70 or at least in (Dearborn) then the earlier years 65-67SJ . Both were used in both time periods some more then others probably the plant had something to do with it also. Just personal observations that I and input from others have helped me get a sense of what to expect. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 08:28:05 PM »
Sometimes a good place to start is the search feature here

Some previous threads

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=7515.msg42805#msg42805

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=4342.msg24078#msg24078

Personally never found any that were painted black but we've been over that subject a number of times. But MCA does allow you currently to choose your finish

Here is a picture of a front coil spring from a 65 Dearborn just for the metal finish ;)

« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 09:01:04 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 11:55:29 PM »
Sometimes a good place to start is the search feature here

Some previous threads

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=7515.msg42805#msg42805

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=4342.msg24078#msg24078

Personally never found any that were painted black but we've been over that subject a number of times. But MCA does allow you currently to choose your finish

Here is a picture of a front coil spring from a 65 Dearborn just for the metal finish ;)

Try to convince Brant  ;) . ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 12:00:48 AM »
Try to convince Brant  ;) . ;D

Don't have or needed  to ;)  But more than happy to discuss evidence and original examples

Still waiting for an example that reacts (lifts and curls the "paint")  from paint removed :)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 12:59:00 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 10:23:58 AM »
Ever since I started paying attention to this detail, seen more that appear to just be a darkened heat-treat.  I usually soak original springs in evapo-rust now, original markings come up nice.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 11:30:21 AM »
Ever since I started paying attention to this detail, seen more that appear to just be a darkened heat-treat.  I usually soak original springs in evapo-rust now, original markings come up nice.
+1

Offline Building 3

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 02:22:06 PM »
Thanks for your help in the responses. I'll do a better job with the search feature next time.
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 11:23:44 PM »
Related topic.  Rear springs over time lose their arc and eventually need to be re-arced or replaced.  What's the prevailing line of thought on the lifespan of the front coils?  Given the heavier gauge material I assume they "should" last a lot longer.

Regards,

Ron
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 11:32:24 PM »
Related topic.  Rear springs over time lose their arc and eventually need to be re-arced or replaced.  What's the prevailing line of thought on the lifespan of the front coils?  Given the heavier gauge material I assume they "should" last a lot longer.

I've never had to re-arch rear leaf springs or address any issue with sagging front coils. Now cut or heated ones is another issue front springs. Many of my cars have spent more of their lives without engines of transmissions in the car reducing allot of the stress especially on the front but also all of the springs
Jeff Speegle

Offline lscman

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 06:22:11 AM »
Can you phosphate the front coils for that darkened look?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 08:27:31 AM »
Can you phosphate the front coils for that darkened look?

Sure, just use manganese phosphate as zinc phosphate will be too light.  Some use gun blue and there are other products like Insta-Blak...
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 11:37:07 PM »
Sorry to bring this topic back up but I am finding traces of semi gloss black underneath both stripes on my front spring on the passenger side and traces on the driver side as well..
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 11:39:14 PM »
Sorry to bring this topic back up but I am finding traces of semi gloss black underneath both stripes on my front spring on the passenger side and traces on the driver side as well..

Did the paint bubble up when you placed paint remover on it?  Or is the coating something you can scrap or chip off?
Jeff Speegle

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2017, 11:51:03 PM »
Let me know if these help. Did bubble a little bit when I sprayed some paint stripper at the bottom inside.
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe