Author Topic: 1967 disc brake hose brackets.  (Read 9723 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1967 disc brake hose brackets.
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2015, 11:34:12 PM »
Just thought I would add that I've seen and taken pictures of original cars with both finishes. Not sure if its a supplier or tied to when the car was built ( San Jose 67 Disc brake Mustangs) but right now it appears to be a supplier thing IMHO. Often its impossible to determine the finish without touching and cleaning on an otherwise original but dirty undercarriage though in some cases like below the amount of rust (when compared to know painted and unpainted surfaces right next to it) helps in the determination

Suggest its a supplier thing since the two unrestored examples below were built one day apart at San Jose.
Finishes did match side to side which is interesting but seen much odder things through the years. Drivers and passenger sides both shown - one per car/example

« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 11:52:24 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2015, 12:26:48 AM »

That is the same bracket used on a 64-66 Mustang brake system for both drum and disc brakes. Drum brakes for 67, and on, used a different bracket. Disc brakes for 68 on were different than 67 as the 67 disc brakes were the 4 piston KH type (different dia hoses than 64-66), 68 were the floating type. All the 64-67 brackets I've removed, mostly San Jose, were painted.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 01:16:54 AM »
Well, black it is.....  It'll cover the pitting on the inner fender side better anyway.
Now that we know they are applicable for 65-6 I may try and find a better set for mine.  Interesting to know they'll interchange. I knew they were different for 67-on drum applications because I did the brakes on the neighbor's '68 drum vehicle.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 01:19:18 AM by 1967 eight barrel »

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2015, 01:23:53 AM »
That is the same bracket used on a 64-66 Mustang brake system for both drum and disc brakes. Drum brakes for 67, and on, used a different bracket. Disc brakes for 68 on were different than 67 as the 67 disc brakes were the 4 piston KH type (different dia hoses than 64-66), 68 were the floating type. All the 64-67 brackets I've removed, mostly San Jose, were painted.
Jim

Jim, the '67 disc brake hose is different from 65-6 disc cars as well. The theaded portion that goes into the caliper for 1967 is 7/16. It also makes the copper washers more difficult to come by than the previous years.  I haven't tinkered too much with the 65-6 cars.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2015, 01:56:11 AM »
Jim, the '67 disc brake hose is different from 65-6 disc cars as well. The theaded portion that goes into the caliper for 1967 is 7/16. It also makes the copper washers more difficult to come by than the previous years.  I haven't tinkered too much with the 65-6 cars.
It is a early late thing. The earliest 67's used the smaller typical 65/66 disc brake hose.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2015, 01:58:14 AM »
It is a early late thing. The earliest 67's used the smaller typical 65/66 disc brake hose.

+1 There is at least one thread with pictures showing some of the early details.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5499.msg49179#msg49179

Got to love the running changes of 67 production  ::)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 03:08:51 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2015, 01:06:23 PM »
Apparently installed into May 67, for at least one San Jose "A" code Fastback. The car sat in a field in Hayward, CA for at least 10 years and was pulled out 12 years ago. No way to show continuity there. A Marti report confirmed factory disc.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2015, 07:57:48 AM »
The 67-8 vehicles are the same.
68 very different from 67
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2015, 09:37:08 AM »

+1

Recently, there was a thread on identifying 67 Calipers, it discussed and provided images of some differences in those Early/Late 4 piston calipers for 67's. Not sure the hose mounting bracket was discussed, now I have to wonder if there were two, fortunately, I have the correct ones either way but others may not.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2015, 09:50:26 AM »
Just thought I would add that I've seen and taken pictures of original cars with both finishes. Not sure if its a supplier or tied to when the car was built ( San Jose 67 Disc brake Mustangs) but right now it appears to be a supplier thing IMHO. Often its impossible to determine the finish without touching and cleaning on an otherwise original but dirty undercarriage though in some cases like below the amount of rust (when compared to know painted and unpainted surfaces right next to it) helps in the determination

Suggest its a supplier thing since the two unrestored examples below were built one day apart at San Jose.
Finishes did match side to side which is interesting but seen much odder things through the years. Drivers and passenger sides both shown - one per car/example

I really wonder about the "supplier" theory. Photos do seem to supply evidence that suggest otherwise but I still wonder because my example that has not been driven in anything except Southern California desert area rain throughout it's pre-restored life, the brackets looked virtually just like the "unpainted" ones pictured in Jeff's pictures on the outside surfaces, evidence of a little minimal rusting, yet on the backside and in areas where grime had built up above the brackets, they are CLEARLY painted (dipped) black. THEN, add the fact that my frame rails in the same area are near perfectly preserved engine compartment black, needing only a light solvent cleaning, with most of the original underbody (salmon) color very nice and unscaved (further note: transfered some of the salmon underbody color stuck onto the black brackets, further indicating my example as unmolested over the years)

Again, at a glance, I can certainly see how somebody would believe them to be bare steel, while (using my example) in reality they were originally dipped.

To me, at least on what I am looking at, it is more of an "exposure to the elements" sort of thing. An unrestored in a good climate controlled storage would show all black, IMHO while another example that was driven daily would look like bare steel...Well, that's my theory at this point in time.

Richard
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 10:09:08 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2015, 10:13:14 AM »
Going back to the O.P's initial question:

What should the finish be on the 1967 disc brake hose brackets be? I have seen several in black, but these look to have been bare metal originally.

ANSWER: Bare steel, then DIP them BLACK!  I've heard it said before~once you go black, you'll never go back!  :o ;D
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 10:23:56 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2015, 01:05:46 PM »
SanJose.. Good reason to stay natural? LOL    I think the black is going to be the easiest to maintain, so I am going to black dipped. However, the Caliper theory is now in question knowing my vehicle was unmolested and it is definately 7/16 as an early Dec build. What gives?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2015, 02:44:21 PM »
SanJose.. Good reason to stay natural? LOL    I think the black is going to be the easiest to maintain, so I am going to black dipped. However, the Caliper theory is now in question knowing my vehicle was unmolested and it is definately 7/16 as an early Dec build. What gives?
There were Oct and Nov 67 Shelby's built too  ;) . I would be a little surprised to find a car built in the Dec time frame that had the the smaller brake hose feature. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2015, 03:24:36 PM »
Going back to the O.P's initial question:

ANSWER: Bare steel, then DIP them BLACK! ..........................

Going to disagree

ANSWER:  Either way. Now if your showing the car you may choose to go with the expected until something is adopted or modified

Of course we don't all have to agree all the time - that is how things progress
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2015, 04:24:27 PM »
Going to disagree

ANSWER:  Either way. Now if your showing the car you may choose to go with the expected until something is adopted or modified

Of course we don't all have to agree all the time - that is how things progress
+1. That is why I said typical . Non typical has a different set of challanges.