Author Topic: Engine numbers  (Read 913 times)

Offline V8_bloke_28

Engine numbers
« on: August 09, 2017, 08:29:54 PM »
Hi. I'm looking to purchase a 67 fastback 289 from metuchen  and I asked the seller for photos of all the vin numbers.
He sent me the buck tag and what looks like engine numbers stamped into the block.
I was under the impression that vin numbers stamped into blocks came after 67?
TIA.

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
Re: Engine numbers
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 08:48:50 PM »
I dont think it was a Federal requirement until 1968.

From the original stapings I have seen, it would not be typical for the entire serial number to be stamped in the format you have shown.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 09:48:06 PM »
I dont think it was a Federal requirement until 1968.

From the original stapings I have seen, it would not be typical for the entire serial number to be stamped in the format you have shown.
67 Shelby's had the VIN stamped into the trans that way. I do not know if it is typical for a regular Mustang to have a VIN stamped . I had always heard prior to 1968 that it was only done on the high performance cars that had a high risk of being stolen. I am not sure how valid that is given the picture.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 09:52:30 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 12:32:37 AM »
67 Shelby's had the VIN stamped into the trans that way. I do not know if it is typical for a regular Mustang to have a VIN stamped . I had always heard prior to 1968 that it was only done on the high performance cars that had a high risk of being stolen. I am not sure how valid that is given the picture.

+1 I have not seen VIN stamping on regular 67 Mustang engines and transmissions.
Marty

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 01:50:10 AM »
I vaguely remember a recommendation long ago by law enforcement to stamp your VIN on your engine to deter theft. This may be an example of that. Other major components, transmission, rear axle, radio, may have been on the stamping list.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 05:16:50 PM »
According to non Ford documents the stamping of "high performance" manual transmissions started (if I recall correctly) in 1963. Have seen 4 speeds from other than Mustang applications with Ford VINS stamped in the transmissions On I recall came from a light weight

This is not to suggest that the picture reflects what an original transmission VIN would look like The pad in the picture appears to have been ground and restamped since its missing all the casting texture IMHO
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 05:19:11 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)