Author Topic: Weatherstrip Adhesive  (Read 3776 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Weatherstrip Adhesive
« on: November 18, 2011, 09:14:31 PM »
An often seen mistake we see on the show field is the use of black weatherstrip adhesive on classic Mustangs and Shelby's

Originally a yellow brush applied product was used. We can see evidence of it on original cars around the door weatherstripping, trunk weatherstripping and even the luggage protector strip on the drivers side wheel tub pinchweld in the trunk.

Not all of them are messy originally, but typically they never "stayed within the lines" all the times on any car. These pictures just illustrate those incidents.

Many of us have used a product sold by HERCO as a neoprene rubber contact adhesive

I find it easiest to purchase on EBay under the heading 1 Pint Neoprene Rubber Contact Adhesive

It comes in a metal can with an application brush inside the can attached to the lid

Many of us have found that if left in the original container with the bush that comes attached to the lid, that the brush rusts and in turn contaminates the glue turning it a medium brown, so we have been removing the brush from the lid when we receive the product

Though the product will darken over time to an off brown it looks bad to apply it in this stat. Recently I found that the container itself contributed to the change of color (with brush removed) so when I received the last bottle I receive immediately transferred all the liquid to a glass jar.

Lastly if not sealed well it will harden in the container so seal it well and purchase only what you need for the job your working on - what has worked the best for me.

As always - hope this helps and saves some of you time and effort
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 03:00:30 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Weatherstrip Adhesive
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 10:32:21 PM »
Thanks for posting.  A common detail overlooked, yet relatively easy to duplicate (with the proper technique and product.)
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline JKWilson

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 01:12:32 AM »
Not endorsing this seller, I've just kept it in my watch list for a number of months now. Here's what Jeff is referring to for anyone that can't find it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360122241398?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 11:15:38 AM »

Offline JKWilson

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 12:23:12 AM »
Fortunately the seller has his listings posted so they "self renew", for lack of a better description. When the ending date comes up, they just repost automatically. You can also just add the seller to your "favorite sellers" list. I've done that with a number of sellers that will occasionally pop up offering something interesting and I check through the list occasionally. You've been added to that list for quit awhile Charles! ;)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 12:29:50 AM by JKWilson »
'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 01:07:39 AM »
Hehe, wanna buy some stamps?   ;D

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 05:23:31 PM »
What's the best way to remove the old glue and left over weatherstripping without damaging the paint?  Trying goo gone but is taking a long time.  The door seals were original as both ends of the driver door had part C4 part numbers in them...
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 11:07:19 AM »
Try Ardex 6214 solvent, comes in a black can.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 01:13:59 PM »
What's the best way to remove the old glue and left over weatherstripping without damaging the paint?  Trying goo gone but is taking a long time.  The door seals were original as both ends of the driver door had part C4 part numbers in them...
There are some solvents that you should NOT use: Goof-Off; acetone; other high volatile solvents. I've had some good luck with Krud Kutter, a paint stripper available at Home Depot, on paint problems - but the standard warning applies - try it on a small hidden area first.
Otherwise, "a long time" may be your friend with your current attempt.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 02:08:39 PM »
There are some solvents that you should NOT use:

+1, the 3M adhesive remover in the spray can is also one that can remove paint/finishes.

The Ardex solvent I recommended is very good and will not cause any issues.