Author Topic: 6S1232 Original Block Found -  (Read 1749 times)

Offline jwc66k

6S1232 Original Block Found -
« on: March 04, 2017, 08:36:49 PM »
I went with the owner of 6S1232, Steve and his son, up into the Sierras today and got the block. It IS the original. I can't show you the Ford VIN numbers as that is part of the Shelby owners confidential information. (I know what it is, but you won't.) The story behind the engine goes like this: sometime in the early 70's, 6S1232 had an engine change. The original block was damaged, to what extent remains to be determined. The right and left rear lower threaded mounts, the "ears", to the transmission show signs of welding. How, when, where and why are a mystery. A guess on my part would be that the car got airborne and the impact broke the engine to transmission connections. Then, a new block was installed in 6S1232 to be driven around for the last 40 years. About two or three weeks ago, Steve got an e-mail from the Shelby registry about the block turning up. He had to prove that he did in fact own and have in his possession, 1966 Shelby GT350 6S1232. Then he was told who had the block. The guy that had the block is into Mustangs and seeing the VIN, made inquiries and found it was a Shelby block. There are good guys in the world. In any case, the block should be in Steve's garage about now, and I had a good day driving up the "hill" and back.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline gt350t

Re: 6S1232 Original Block Found -
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 09:31:48 PM »
What a great Day. We had a fantastic time meeting our new friend. Next thing is to see if my block can be repaired and installed in my GT350.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 11:49:44 PM »
Good to hear. Looks like (well from the valley) a nice day for the drive before the weather changes again
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 12:48:32 PM »
Good to hear. Looks like (well from the valley) a nice day for the drive before the weather changes again
Rain, well very heavy fog going into Pleasanton, the rest of the trip was "damp". Eastbound I-80 in the afternoon, on a weekend is a traffic mess. You know that. That's why we left the South Bay area at 8am, missed all that mess. With the previous storms doing a lot of road damage, we avoided Altamont (I-580) and Oakland (I-880), also for the latter's shooting range style of freeways.
To be truthful, I was more than pleasantly surprised at our host's "collection". Nuff said.
JIm
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline gt350t

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 04:20:50 PM »
Here's a few pictures of my block. I included the date code and block casting number. Also the deck assembly code stamping and a partial stamping of my VIN.  You can also see the repair to the block in one of the pictures.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 05:20:42 PM »
Thanks - a few more data points for the spreadsheets  :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)