Author Topic: Rear Brake Hoses  (Read 6851 times)

Offline bluemax

Rear Brake Hoses
« on: February 15, 2015, 07:35:26 PM »
I am currently grinding through the restoration of the rear end on my '86 SVO and ran into an interesting dilemma concerning the rear brake hoses. While there are after market hoses currently available from several sources, the mounting brackets are "longer" than the oem pieces.

All of the various suppliers utilize the same part numbers; 38369 for the LH and 38370 for the RH. The finish on the brackets varies by supplier. NAPA uses a clear zinc finish, while Raybestos and Dorman use a zinc dichromate finish (similar to oem).

The issue with the "longer" bracket is that the brake lines must be rebent in order to properly connect to the brake hoses.

Note that the brake line routing clip will not attach properly.

Offline bluemax

Re: Rear Brake Hoses
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 07:42:28 PM »
In these pictures you can see the difference between the oem original parts and the NAPA version. I have also attached pictures of NOS pieces. Interesting that the Engineering number is stamped on the front side of one side and the back side of the other (on both the original and the NOS examples).

As reference, Ford part numbers are:

E4ZZ-2A442-A RH
E4ZZ-2A442-B LH

NOS parts are long obsolete so options are somewhat limited.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 07:46:42 PM by bluemax »

Offline rodster

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 11:07:04 AM »
Interesting. Even if you aren't going concours, it stinks to have to re-bend lines. My first thoughts are to cut/shorten/weld bracket, or reuse the original bracket. (assuming one doesn't have NOS parts)  ;)

Thanks for pointing this out.

By the way, the axle looks great!
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 12:43:54 PM »
Ain't the aftermarket world just Dan-Dee? I work on cars every day of the week and constantly have to make alterations for the altercations I encounter...and +95% of the time cannot get more $$$ for the extra or waisted time/materials used or spent. Going NOS is often not an option and even at times when you go with OEM parts, batches are different too! I cannot remember the last time I bought a pair of, say tie rod ends from the same vendor, that both parts (right & left sides) looked exactly the same and had the exact same hardware (castle nut, grease fitting, locking nut etc.) ...You know, a PAIR of identical parts...Most of the time they look so different I just shake my head and put them on. (Still hating it)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 03:36:47 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline rodster

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 03:32:09 PM »
Yea, it's one thing to have to deal with this stuff as a hobby but to put up with it every day must be maddening.  Especially since I'm sure a large percentage of customers have no idea what is involved.

I replaced a Ford headlight assembly and it was wired wrong from the factory in China. (Subsequent research showed the problem was known for a long time but never corrected  ::)  )

I had to eat the extra labor and parts but only because my daughter was my 'customer'  ;)

Thanks to bluemax for posting his findings so those of us with SVO's know what to expect.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline bluemax

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 09:39:49 AM »
The center brake hose is easier to deal with than the two outer caliper hoses.

There is a difference between the '84- early '85 single exhaust center hose and the '85.5 - '86 dual exhaust center hose.

Here is a picture of the center hose mounted on the rear end of my '86. With the late '85 change to dual exhaust, the center hose was relocated closer to the center of the rear end, while the earlier version was attached at the axle vent tube on the right hand axle tube.

Offline bluemax

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 09:51:52 AM »
The correct center hose for the late '85 and '86 dual exhaust cars is part number E5ZZ-2282-A. The bracket is bent slightly different from the later E6 version.

I have attached pictures of the original center hose and bracket (note the engineering number on this hose is actually an E6 part number), correct E5ZZ NOS version (note the E5 engineering part number), and an NOS E6ZZ version with the different style mounting bracket.

NOS parts are again long obsolete, however, there are correct aftermarket parts available.

Both Raybestos and NAPA carry the part as BH38490. Raybestos includes the Banjo bolt and sealing washers while NAPA does not. These Banjo bolts have a different thread pitch than the Banjo bolts used on the caliper. Early Raybestos versions were supplied in the correct zinc-dichromate finish, but now it appears that both suppliers only have them in a clear zinc finish, so the parts will have to be replated.

Offline rodster

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 04:25:08 PM »
Good stuff...thanks for sharing.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline rodster

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 04:33:34 PM »
 while the earlier version was attached at the axle vent tube on the right hand axle tube.

Example of an 84.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline Kendal Coker

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 08:30:36 PM »
Nice work Matt.

Offline 79mustangcobra

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 03:56:10 PM »
I am currently grinding through the restoration of the rear end on my '86 SVO and ran into an interesting dilemma concerning the rear brake hoses. While there are after market hoses currently available from several sources, the mounting brackets are "longer" than the oem pieces.

All of the various suppliers utilize the same part numbers; 38369 for the LH and 38370 for the RH. The finish on the brackets varies by supplier. NAPA uses a clear zinc finish, while Raybestos and Dorman use a zinc dichromate finish (similar to oem).

The issue with the "longer" bracket is that the brake lines must be rebent in order to properly connect to the brake hoses.

Note that the brake line routing clip will not attach properly.

Nice work!  I love when someone else too pays attention to details.  Good job!
1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
MCA #70281 -  79-93 MCA Concours Judge
Proverbs 3:5-6