Author Topic: 67 gta steering play  (Read 1958 times)

Offline socalgt

67 gta steering play
« on: March 16, 2015, 10:04:54 PM »
What would be the recommended sequence of repairs/adjustments to attempt  to tighten up the steering play on a '67 GTA( 289 with power steering).  I consider it to be too much play when the car is slightly moving left and moving the steering slightly to the right, at first does not alter the path.  I know  these weren't the tightest of steering cars new, but I'd like to get rid of as much play as possible, short of installing an updated steering system. 

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 67 gta steering play
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 10:21:52 PM »
Good place to start would be tie rods, replace outers and then inners.  Get a good alignment, tires should be good condition.

If still play after that, then look at overhauling the p/s components and steering box.

These cars are pretty simple, the most difficult of what was mentioned is rebuilding the steering box, best to get that done professionally.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 01:57:16 AM »
FYI every steering box I have come across after almost 50 years at the very least has the grease the consistency of hardened plaster and at the worst it is worn and sloppy . The box should be part of the program in any front end rebuild. The control valve is another area that contributes to the wandering steering .  Don't forget the idler arm (weak link) and last but not least inner and outer tie rod ends. Not all has to be wrong to get the wandering steering but check them all.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline socalgt

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 06:09:45 PM »
I believe I have identified the steering wheel play to the gearbox.  I say this because when moving the wheel through its'  free play(about 2" each way), the pitman arm does not move.  It is my understanding that indicates the gearbox to be the problem.  I've read conflicting articles on adjusting the steering box with some saying to adjust it with the wheel all the way turned in one direction...others saying don't bother...others saying just to loosen the lock nut and turn the screw in 1/4 turn. I don't want to damage the steering box with improper adjustment.

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 08:30:08 PM »
I believe I have identified the steering wheel play to the gearbox.  I say this because when moving the wheel through its'  free play(about 2" each way), the pitman arm does not move.  It is my understanding that indicates the gearbox to be the problem.  I've read conflicting articles on adjusting the steering box with some saying to adjust it with the wheel all the way turned in one direction...others saying don't bother...others saying just to loosen the lock nut and turn the screw in 1/4 turn. I don't want to damage the steering box with improper adjustment.

Keep in mind that the sector shaft adjustment affects the entire range of travel - you can't adjust the clearance for just the midde of travel, for example.

Unless you're driving in circles, the sector and rack nut spend most of their time at the center of travel, so that is where the wear will be greatest. The least amount of wear will be at the ends of travel. Over time, the sector will no longer form an arc centered on the shaft rotation point, and the rack will not effectively be straight. (I'm talking about the line described by the points of contact on the teeth) What this means is, you will have play at the center of travel, and reasonably good engagement near the stops.

Adjusting the sector shaft with this condition, you can take up the play in the middle of travel, but now there will be insufficient clearance or binding at the ends of travel. You might be able to find a point that reduces the play to a tolerable level without binding at the stops. If you adjust too far, you will damage the teeth on either or both components. On the other hand - they're already shot. Once the wear reaches a certain point, the only way to correct it is to replace the sector and the rack nut. Theoretically the teeth could all be reground to a depth equal to the point of maximum wear, but even if you could find someone to do that it would be Expen$ive.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 10:50:33 PM by WT8095 »
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline socalgt

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 10:27:16 PM »
I tightened the adjustment screw about 1/8 turn.  The steering play was reduced considerably.  I don't feel any binding when turning to  the stop in either direction...although with power steering and the car on the ground, it's hard to really tell.  With the amount of work to  remove the one piece(no rag joint)steering box assembly, I'll leave things as they are.  There is minimal, acceptable steering wheel  play now and the car is much more enjoyable  to drive.

Thanks for the replies...