Author Topic: Original Parts? Keep?  (Read 7125 times)

Offline ChrisV289

Original Parts? Keep?
« on: March 23, 2015, 01:30:17 PM »
So I have a 2009 Mustang (original owner) as my daily driver and I've been planing to keep it as long as I can so it to can start doing MCA shows one day along side my 65.  Right now it has 92k miles on it and the time has come to replace the lower control arms, tie rods, and the pressure power steering hose.  My questions is, should I keep the original parts or go ahead and junk them since Ford is replacing them anyway?  I've kept things I've changed like the grill for fog lights, different steering wheel, and shifter knob.  I also changed the rear shocks out since one was leaking but I did keep them after trying for years to find a set for my 65.  What are people's thoughts on parts and what to keep and what not to?
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Original Parts? Keep?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 01:33:36 PM »
well i have the room & keep everything that has been replaced. those parts may never be reinstalled but they are there for future references. in the alternative you could take detailed pics & measurements & keep those.
5F09C331248

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 02:26:41 PM »
well i have the room & keep everything that has been replaced. those parts may never be reinstalled but they are there for future references. in the alternative you could take detailed pics & measurements & keep those.

+1
Sometimes, even if these cannot be refurbished or reused in any way, you will not want to have some of the regrets like the regrets I have today about parts I threw away from '78-'85 while I also drove today's project as a "daily driver"... because back then, they were what I thought as "shot" or "junk".

I kinda wish I had my old "junk" back...
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 02:32:20 PM »

+2.  Even on my '02 model bmw, I keep most of the parts that come off, except I didn't keep the old clutch/flywheel.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 03:56:45 PM »
I use a "two year-five year" plan - every two years, I decide if I want to keep something for five years. I run out of storage space every year.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 10:59:51 PM »
We need a Hoarders Mustang Forum created, or a Concours Addict Forum ;)

I can't judge though, I'm exactly the same :)
Regards,
Dom
64 1/2 Caspian Blue Convertible - Dearborn

Offline rodster

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 11:38:03 PM »
Soon time to replace the original tires on my '09 and I'm sure I'll hang on to them even though I know they will just take up space.  ;)
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 06:25:33 AM »
Soon time to replace the original tires on my '09 and I'm sure I'll hang on to them even though I know they will just take up space.  ;)

I'm removing the original Tires and Wheels from our '05 with 27K on them in a few weeks. (Replacement NEW take-offs are already mounted & balanced and waiting for warmer weather to drive top-down)  Also saving the original brakes & rotors when I switch the tires/wheels. I'll be storing all of the original parts with notes on original locations in the event of a future restoration. MAYBE, just maybe, that day will never come and I'll never need to replace the replacements...IDK. I do know what "original parts" sell for on the old classics. These rescued (good to very good and/or like-new) items should be no different in future value. (for my car or another April '05 GT)  I have already set other parts asside for "Such a Day" from this '05. There is NOTHING like "original" and this forum has taught me that ALL of these parts are usually date-coded and finding 'GOOD" date correct parts is the hardest thing to do in restoring our Mustangs. I wish to ENJOY the car for a while, while at the same time preserving enough original items so that I can one day go back and do a simple restoration (as, or if needed) on the "consumable" items known to wear out. "Preservation" is easier than "restoration" yet I do not have a museum so I need to "hoard".

PS, Side note: I am looking for a set of FRONT SEATS, in tan leather with side airbags ( maybe carpet too) for a convertible in "usable-good" condition so I can set the originals asside too.

Maybe I am anal, but I do not feel alone on that kind of thinking, more so after joining this site  :o  ;D

Richard
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 06:42:40 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline rodster

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 10:21:56 AM »
Where did you get your new take-offs?  Something I had considered when shopping for tires.  I have to keep the original tires since the have the factory green dot.  ;D

It's a fine line trying to preserve a car and still enjoy it. Just a thought, maybe you can enjoy your original seats and pick up a set of OEM seatcovers to have if ever needed. Who knows, maybe by the time the seatcovers need replaced there will be nice aftermarket options available. Then again maybe you'll want it to be more of a 'survivor'.  ;) 

Yep, it's a fine line.  ;D
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 10:33:31 AM »
If you have new take-off wheels/tires, it would make better sense to save those and get new tires put on your original wheels.  Considering the wheels are the same for both sets.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline rodster

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 10:44:47 AM »
I was thinking he was getting later model take-offs to use but if they are the original style, I agree. 
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 01:34:02 PM »
Where did you get your new take-offs?

For my 2008 GT daily driver, I've used http://www.newtakeoff.com/.  Roush and other companies that modify cars also sell take offs on their web site.   But as you would imagine, the 2005-2009 cars are not that "new" anymore ;)

I've procured and installed brake rotors, calipers.  I have ready to go if needed shocks, air filter, and serpentine belt.

Bought the same Pirellis at about 55K miles, and will need another set next year.  Those were bought at a tire store.  I don't think I want 5-10 year old tires since I drive it.

For the battery I just bought a Motorcraft, which is relatively close to original.  The original was drained, rinsed, dried, and is in storage.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 02:25:57 PM »
Where did you get your new take-offs?  Something I had considered when shopping for tires.  I have to keep the original tires since the have the factory green dot.  ;D

It's a fine line trying to preserve a car and still enjoy it. Just a thought, maybe you can enjoy your original seats and pick up a set of OEM seatcovers to have if ever needed. Who knows, maybe by the time the seatcovers need replaced there will be nice aftermarket options available. Then again maybe you'll want it to be more of a 'survivor'.  ;) 

Yep, it's a fine line.  ;D

For my 2008 GT daily driver, I've used http://www.newtakeoff.com/.  Roush and other companies that modify cars also sell take offs on their web site.   But as you would imagine, the 2005-2009 cars are not that "new" anymore ;)

I've procured and installed brake rotors, calipers.  I have ready to go if needed shocks, air filter, and serpentine belt.

Bought the same Pirellis at about 55K miles, and will need another set next year.  Those were bought at a tire store.  I don't think I want 5-10 year old tires since I drive it.

For the battery I just bought a Motorcraft, which is relatively close to original.  The original was drained, rinsed, dried, and is in storage.

Similarly, I bought the Take-Off Pirellis locally here about 5 years ago, and have had them sitting/waiting, no signs they were actually ever installed onto a rim and no stickers either. Bought from another wholesaler of New Take-Off parts in the greater Cleveland area. I paid only $275 for the 4 tires!Picked them up for FREE on the shipping costs.

The Rims, I just bought in an eBay listing a few weeks ago from www.newtakeoff.com Same BULLIT Style, but in CHROME instead of Dark Argent so the new Pirellis went onto the stock style chrome "optional" wheel, that style didn't come on my '05. The (replacement) new Pirellis are date coded 2007. The originals are coded 2005 and I figure having the stock wheel weights still in original place is a good thing too.

On the seats, I'd buy another set of new skins for my seats but since now the cars are 10 years old, I might find a whole set of seats, nice enough for a "Driver" with seat covers or something...

If you have new take-off wheels/tires, it would make better sense to save those and get new tires put on your original wheels.  Considering the wheels are the same for both sets.

If you saw how nice my original tires & wheels are, and given my previous comment, Charles, you would save the originals asside too, I think
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 02:32:45 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 06:31:24 PM »
Follow up over the weekend since I was down at the MCA show in Tucson.  I dropped my 09 off on Friday morning with a drop cloth in the trunk for the old parts to be placed in.  I asked the person I was dealing with if they can place the old parts in the trunk carefully, he said they have to return the old parts for Ford for them to verify that they did replace them since it is covered under the extended warranty and Ford rebuilds them.  Unfortunately I could not keep them  :'(
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 06:57:30 PM »
... it is covered under the extended warranty...

Big difference if it was under warranty, yeah...they keep the parts.  :( 

It may be that they are not actually rebuilding them and the old parts end up in a scrap pile to be checked off by a factory rep is all, to verify they were indeed replaced (fraud protection) That happens too but it would be tough to get them back from them none the less.
Richard Urch