Author Topic: 65 grill color argent blue or silver?  (Read 1929 times)

Offline trucktricksdon

• Direction Auto & Truck Accessories
65 grill color argent blue or silver?
« on: April 26, 2010, 09:30:46 AM »
I am restoring a November 64 San Jose Mustang and have noticed that in pictures of other cars, especially 64.5 cars, the grill color is a silver/blue, and others are a darker, gunmetal blue. There are traces of the lighter blue on the backside of my grill and it is nowhere near the color of the grill paint I bought from NPD. My question is, did they actually paint the grills the lighter color on earlier production Mustangs, and change at some point to the darker blue? Which is correct for my November 64 car?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 65 grill color argent blue or silver?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 11:28:27 AM »
Your Nov. '64 car should have a gun-metal blue grille.  Have seen the gray grilles on early cars.  Ford also serviced them in varying shades.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline trucktricksdon

• Direction Auto & Truck Accessories
Re: 65 grill color argent blue or silver?
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 06:10:45 PM »
That is kind of what I figured, but just wondered if by chance some of the lighter colored grills made it as far as November. Thanks!

Also, what is the correct color and surface material for the masonite package tray and speaker grill on that coupe? Car is white standard with black appointments. Did they just paint the masonite or did they actually cover it with something? Was the speaker grill painted to match the package tray?