Author Topic: Ford made a different ‘Engine Turned’ Gauge Bezel for 79, 80 and 81 Cobra's  (Read 1555 times)

Offline 79mustangcobra

In my quest of making my 1979 Mustang Cobra as concours as I can get I am always looking for NOS parts.  I always try to restore my original parts first, but like in this case, I have not found a way to recreate the Chrome around the edges of my bezel.  There is chrome/silver paint and I have tried that. It works ok but it is not chrome.

I love Bob Perkins articles in Mustang Monthly.  It is my favorite article.  I love to read about the 'correct' part.

So while buying parts for this car for its future restoration, it has been educational as well.  I thought I would pass along some things that I have found out.

The first two I bought were an E0(80) ans an E1(81) Bezels.

The E0 part # has the correct turn signal design compared to my 79.

Look at the E1 part # it has a different turn signal design.  I also just noticed the fasten seat belt logo is different.

I found a sweet deal on a NOS 79 Dash Bezel.  I got it for 50% less than the other two. The ones I posted earlier are after looking are an 80 and 81.

So, Ford in its wisdom has three different bezels for each year of the Cobra.

So I was determined to find out why Ford made a D9, E0 and E1 Bezel. There has to be some change for a part number change.

Here is the 80 on top and 79 bezel on bottom.

I played eye spy on these two.
So what is the difference. I looked at the font on the warning lights, nope the same. Engine turning the same.  Same size.  Same AC bezels. Same around the steering column, wait .... 

Really??

So maybe this is a fluke?  So I went to the garage and sure enough there is a difference my Cobra does not have the column lip like the 80 version. 

My 79 Cobra Bezel

So there it is. In 80  Ford made these a lot sturdier. Maybe people we're complaining that they broke?  Not sure. 

Then they made the change in 81 with the turn arrows. Seems like a lot of work for minor changes.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 12:40:48 PM by 79mustangcobra »
1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
MCA #70281 -  79-93 MCA Concours Judge
Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline C5ZZ

Learn something new everyday! I just assumed they were all the same!
Another version would be without A/C that would not have the extra vent.
MCA # 00945

65 Fastback, 6 cyl, AT, AC, PS, PB
Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline 79mustangcobra

Learn something new everyday! I just assumed they were all the same!
Another version would be without A/C that would not have the extra vent.

Steve you are correct.  Also on the passenger side you had four types of bezels. 

One with AC and One with out AC

The other would be 'Turbocharged' and non 'Turbocharged'  The Turbo cars had and indention for the bezel. it was not like a double sided tape emblem.  The 5.0 Cars of course did not have the emblem, so a total different bezel.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 01:37:12 PM by 79mustangcobra »
1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
MCA #70281 -  79-93 MCA Concours Judge
Proverbs 3:5-6