Author Topic: 1967 disc brake hose brackets.  (Read 9729 times)

1967 eight barrel

1967 disc brake hose brackets.
« on: June 29, 2015, 03:55:49 AM »
What should the finish be on the 1967 disc brake hose brackets be? I have seen several in black, but these look to have been bare metal originally.

Offline ruppstang

Re: 1967 disc brake hose brackets.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 09:07:09 AM »
Like this.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 06:33:01 PM »
What should the finish be on the 1967 disc brake hose brackets be? I have seen several in black, but these look to have been bare metal originally.
They were bare metal - before they were dipped in black paint by the sub contractor ,shipped to SJ plant and then installed on your GT500 ;) .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 09:58:48 PM »
They were bare metal - before they were dipped in black paint by the sub contractor ,shipped to SJ plant and then installed on your GT500 ;) .
Bob the ones in the photo are of our 11-04-66 San Jose 67 GTA they were bare when I got it. Were they different on the Shelby's? Or possibly a early late thing?
Marty

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 10:07:44 PM »
Bob the ones in the photo are of our 11-04-66 San Jose 67 GTA they were bare when I got it. Were they different on the Shelby's? Or possibly a early late thing?
Marty
Marty, not typically bare metal regardless of plant and no I haven't come across a Shelby yet  with bare metal brackets not to say it is impossible. The Shelby's were a regular Mustang to begin with . Most likely answer is that it was tampered with.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 01:52:51 AM »
Yes, Marty. That is what mine looked like.  Bob: When taken off the vehicle they were dirty, but showed no sign of paint, and one of the few things that rusted on the vehicle. The heavy pitting, considering it is a California vehicle and that it has sat since 1977 lended to the idea they were bare metal and had corrosion because of the leaking of DOT3 fluids.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 04:18:08 AM »
Yes, Marty. That is what mine looked like.  Bob: When taken off the vehicle they were dirty, but showed no sign of paint, and one of the few things that rusted on the vehicle. The heavy pitting, considering it is a California vehicle and that it has sat since 1977 lended to the idea they were bare metal and had corrosion because of the leaking of DOT3 fluids.
You asked the question and like I said it is not typical. It would be a source of a deduction in concours because of that if it matters. Just passing on information based on my past experience .What you do with the information is up to you.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 04:20:57 AM by Bob Gaines »

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 07:46:13 AM »
Bob:
I was trying to make sense as well. I am the second owner of the vehicle. It sat since 1977 in a garage. I did blast them clean, but because they were pitted, and nothing else on the vehicle is, I assumed they had been bare metal, and by all indicators based on the pitting they were.
I have seen them both ways, and I asked here instead of just going back to a painted metal looking finish. I guess dipped semi-gloss is what they will be.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 09:11:24 AM »
Bob:
I was trying to make sense as well. I am the second owner of the vehicle. It sat since 1977 in a garage. I did blast them clean, but because they were pitted, and nothing else on the vehicle is, I assumed they had been bare metal, and by all indicators based on the pitting they were.
I have seen them both ways, and I asked here instead of just going back to a painted metal looking finish. I guess dipped semi-gloss is what they will be.

Our GTA also sat for many years and was very original which makes me wonder why anyone would change this part. I am sure Bob is correct but at this point I am not sure if I will change our car. I will make it a point to look at more of these then decide.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 10:15:35 AM »
I am curious too, I actually went out to the garage this morning to check on my brackets (11/02/66 SJ actual build date)
for whatever reason, I did not locate them after searching all of my "baggies" and "boxes".  (I did locate something I couldn't find on Monday though, doing the same shake-down lol!) Once I do locate them, I have this thread flagged and will supply what I have found out. This area would be "unrestored" previous to my disassembly, worst case scenario would be I shot paint over outside surface during a 1997 refresh but the faces against the frame will be what I focus on mostly, those had never been taken loose before last year's disassemble. Memory tells me they were bare steel, memory also tells me I only previously repainted under the hood since this car was kept in California desert it's whole life, this area and underside of my car were untouched before this resoration.

I'll update when I find them.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 02:33:09 PM »
I think the disk brake brackets used on 67 Mustangs are the same as those used on all 64 thru 66 Mustangs.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 06:54:38 PM »
I think the disk brake brackets used on 67 Mustangs are the same as those used on all 64 thru 66 Mustangs.
Jim

No, actually the disc brake cars are different than the drum brake cars. The 67-8 vehicles are the same. I don't believe the 65-6 cars are.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 07:08:58 PM »
I am curious too, I actually went out to the garage this morning to check on my brackets (11/02/66 SJ actual build date)
for whatever reason, I did not locate them after searching all of my "baggies" and "boxes".  (I did locate something I couldn't find on Monday though, doing the same shake-down lol!) Once I do locate them, I have this thread flagged and will supply what I have found out. This area would be "unrestored" previous to my disassembly, worst case scenario would be I shot paint over outside surface during a 1997 refresh but the faces against the frame will be what I focus on mostly, those had never been taken loose before last year's disassemble. Memory tells me they were bare steel, memory also tells me I only previously repainted under the hood since this car was kept in California desert it's whole life, this area and underside of my car were untouched before this resoration.

I'll update when I find them.

I know Bob seems to take it personally when he is questioned, but when you're the one that took the vehicle apart and you know the original owner who lived three doors down from you and knew what service was performed on the vehicle and it had been off the road since 1977 it's not likely that they would have been changed. I know sometimes we see strange things, but I have cleaned parts and they were bare, why I don't know. I saw pictures and saw them painted semi-gloss black on several restored vehicles. I need to pull a Marti Report, but I believe my vehicle was a Nov -Dec 66 build, and being a Shelby we know it was San Jose/Milpitias. Perhaps I should just dip them to make everyone happy if that was the finish that is considered "factory".  This is what makes it confusing for the rest of us. 

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 09:10:55 PM »
DRUM ROLL! I found my original actual build date of 11/2/66 disc brake hose front brackets, cleaned off the caked grime from where it mounts and can CLEARLY see what the finish is. Bob is once again correct. They are CLEARLY dipped black. Now, the outer sides where there was no grime built up, the finish looked to be bare steel, with light surface rusting so I can see how that assumption would look to be correct too. I would need to do some more cleaning to get a good picture of these. One, still has the brake hose in it, the other was seperated from the hose. I have NO OTHER PARTS HERE THAT COULD HAVE BEEN MIXED UP BY MISTAKE. These are correct for my application and they WILL be dipped again at reassembly.

Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 10:45:04 PM »
Thanks Richard I probably made that mistake on our car as it was my first concours car in the 90s. Your car was built two days before ours so it will be black dipped also.
Marty