Author Topic: NOS power steering cylinder  (Read 5061 times)

Offline ruppstang

NOS power steering cylinder
« on: July 15, 2015, 11:42:07 PM »
I thought others might like to see the details in this NOS C7 cylinder. I had not seen one with the white band clamp. I thought it might be because it is a service replacement.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: NOS power steering cylinder
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 12:23:53 AM »
I thought others might like to see the details in this NOS C7 cylinder. I had not seen one with the white band clamp. I thought it might be because it is a service replacement.
I see white mostly . Typically I see the remnants on the protected bottom side of the band when I take them off. The white flacks off the band easily leaving only the silver metal surface. It looks like yours already has dandruff. I have seen yellow and pink too.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 12:27:22 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 02:25:17 AM »
Zinc dichromate finished band from an early service replacement (box had the old blue and gray label)

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 01:23:38 PM »
I wopuld guess the plating has come off the first one that Marty posted. 

Bob....you have seen pink??  As in pink?  Did I read that correct? 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 06:40:19 PM »

You thinking a reaction (frosting) of the plating and how it was stored or what it was exposed to?

Might be
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 06:51:40 PM »

Bob....you have seen pink??  As in pink?  Did I read that correct?
no oxidized re action on the clamp it is white as if the clamp was dipped in a paint product . Yes  I have seen what I call pink and also yellow . First time seeing gold. That is a new one.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 07:46:34 PM »
no oxidized re action on the clamp it is white as if the clamp was dipped in a paint product . Yes  I have seen what I call pink and also yellow . First time seeing gold. That is a new one.

Might just be a supplier thing as the service replacements span across the years. Another way for owners could get in trouble copying NOS details again ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 12:47:25 AM »
Interesting detail for sure....
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 06:10:14 AM »

Recently, I was working with two different 67 assemblyline examples which both cylinder boot clamps seemed to be bare stainless steel. Neither had been tampered with and no signs of any paint underneath. I was careful when removing and cleaning these clamps particularly since I had noticed other examples of cylinders in pictures elsewhere on the net where some had different colored clamps (yellow or white), like those colors being discussed in this thread now.

Were there bare steel or stainless steel examples or did some sort of plating come off both of these? one was dated 25 October, 66 that was definately original from a 11/2/66 built San Jose and the other 23 March 67, suspected SJ built but no VIN or actual build date from that example.

Another detail: While restoring one of these cylinders, I needed to polish down the bare steel finish of the cylinder itself. I used gun blueing in the welds and though it looks very nice, the metal tube of the cylinder is much more  shiney when compared to what I see in Marty's picture or when compared with the original finish from a preserved metal finish of a dessert area, never rusty ever before because covered in a layer of grease example.

Is there a way to "dull down" the over-restored look of this bare metal?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 06:15:00 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 06:54:44 AM »
One way of dulling down shiny surfaces is to rub the surface with a grocery paper bag.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline 1969 Cale II

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 02:12:52 PM »
The nos one I have the band looks like stainless, and it has 1935 and a triangle with a "c" inside stamped on it. Don't know the date on the part but the band shows no paint colors or plating colors because it is super clean. How do bare parts last this long?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 05:44:11 PM »
The nos one I have the band looks like stainless, and it has 1935 and a triangle with a "c" inside stamped on it. Don't know the date on the part but the band shows no paint colors or plating colors because it is super clean.
'

Original ones had a date stamp on the cylinder (tube)

How do bare parts last this long?

Just stored well I guess plus they were coated with oil/cosmoline originally, sort of like the preparation of old military parts and items.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 05:57:13 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 11:16:10 PM »
Here is a picture of NOS assembly line correct C7ZA -3C637-B cylinder from 68 power steering kit dated April 1967. Pink clamp. Don't be mislead that NOS parts are not the same as assembly line parts. It depends on date codes of the parts.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 12:56:20 AM by PerkinsRestoration »