Author Topic: Motorcraft Battery - Concours Driven  (Read 15528 times)

Offline BobV

Motorcraft Battery - Concours Driven
« on: August 10, 2015, 05:02:57 PM »
Just received my Loveland judging sheet.
Overall, the car fared quite well - credit lots of cleaning & prep work, along with good knowledgeable judges. I have NO complaint - overall the car was judged kindly - I just don't want to "leave points on the table", for the day when I need every last one!

I lost the majority of my points on the battery, which leaves me a bit confused.
Deducted 5 of 6 possible with the comment "Not original, but repro battery is a nice touch"
My car has a current production Motorcraft BXT-56. That is the correct group & size for an 86.
I went the extra step to make reproduction decals, and painted the black lower case semi-flat white to make the battery as authentic-appearing as possible. IMHO, this is as close as one can possibly get to having a FUNCTIONAL, yet correct appearing 1986 battery. Yes, we have to leave room for "that guy" who drives around with his dead, original 1986 battery, but for Concours Driven, I think this is about as far as I'm willing to go. I'm looking for suggestions on what I need to do differently to maximize points for the battery - short of finding and carrying an old dead original. (I'll leave that to the Thoroughbred, Unrestored, & Trailered guys)

One of the problems I see is that the Saleen & regular Foxbody sheets are different. With the exception of the few Fox Saleens that got a different battery, they should be the same...

The CD - Saleen Judging sheet reads:
B. Battery: SSC - Champion.
Pioneer, SC, SA-10 - Motorcraft or Champion.
All others - Motorcraft.
Driven Exception: Black no name battery - mandatory 3 point deduction. All other brands - mandatory 6 point deduction
..............................................................................................6

The CD - 79-93 Mustang sheet reads:
b.Battery:
Must be correct group & size Motorcraft battery for year and model. 2 point
deduction for incorrect group in Concours classes. Must be original in Unrestored &
Thoroughbred classes or 6 point deduction. 6 point deduction for non-Motorcraft battery, no exceptions
Quality of Workmanship, condition and cleanliness .........................................................2

Is there a rule change needed to better align the 2 sheets?

My battery:

I was deducted 1 point for no Saleen underhood plate (which didn't start until 1987)...
Who would be the best contact point to get that rule updated?

The sheet also mentioned "Missing Motorcraft parts decal". Isn't that the one on my air filter housing, or is there another one?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 06:05:38 PM by BobV »
1986 Saleen Mustang
51k miles 98% original

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Motorcraft Battery - Concours Driven
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 05:10:15 PM »
i cannot speak for the authenticity of your items but i would start with a call and letter to the mca asst. head judge for the class. you could also draft a letter to be presented at the annual judges meeting which will occur immediately after the columbus show.
5F09C331248

Offline rodster

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 11:24:12 PM »
Battery looks great, nice job!. I'd be confused too, especially since it's concours driven.  Keep us posted on your findings.
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline BobV

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 09:02:04 AM »
Thanks.

Seems to be a trend... http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11326.0

Basically, an original 1986 Motorcraft battery is required, a plain black no-name battery loses 3, and anything else loses 6 seems to be how the rule is being interpreted.
All others - Motorcraft.
Driven Exception: Black no name battery - mandatory 3 point deduction. All other brands - mandatory 6 point deduction

I can understand for Unrestored or Thoroughbred, but the whole idea of Concours Driven is to DRIVE the car, isn't it?  :o
1986 Saleen Mustang
51k miles 98% original

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 05:45:57 PM »
Thanks.

Seems to be a trend... http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11326.0

Basically, an original 1986 Motorcraft battery is required, a plain black no-name battery loses 3, and anything else loses 6 seems to be how the rule is being interpreted.
All others - Motorcraft.

I can understand for Unrestored or Thoroughbred, but the whole idea of Concours Driven is to DRIVE the car, isn't it?  :o
I am surprised given the outside the box thinking it took to create you replica battery that you didn't think that others take dead ones and but a battery inside making it functional and the car drivable. I would want to reward the car that had that done. Maybe you can find a original battery and do that.. It shouldn't be hard for someone as capable as you shown yourself to be.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline BobV

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 06:14:43 PM »
I am surprised given the outside the box thinking it took to create you replica battery that you didn't think that others take dead ones and but a battery inside making it functional and the car drivable. I would want to reward the car that had that done. Maybe you can find a original battery and do that.. It shouldn't be hard for someone as capable as you shown yourself to be.
Actually several of the autocross guys I've run with have built cheater batteries using a small motorcycle battery inside a full case...  ;D

My battery had never been an issue until Loveland - had never received any deduction for it in any local or National show.
In fact, I lost more points for the battery at Loveland than the ENTIRE CAR had ever lost previously.

I've been watching for an 86 battery for about a year now. Not much success, but I'll find one. Every car I've seen shown with one just leaves it on the ground beside the car. I'll either build a functional one, or have "one more thing to haul". Not a lot of spare room in a Fox Mustang after you include tools, cleaning supplies, and a weeks clothing for 2 adults!
1986 Saleen Mustang
51k miles 98% original

Offline rodster

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 12:25:43 AM »
Actually several of the autocross guys I've run with have built cheater batteries using a small motorcycle battery inside a full case...  ;D

My battery had never been an issue until Loveland - had never received any deduction for it in any local or National show.
In fact, I lost more points for the battery at Loveland than the ENTIRE CAR had ever lost previously.

I've been watching for an 86 battery for about a year now. Not much success, but I'll find one. Every car I've seen shown with one just leaves it on the ground beside the car. I'll either build a functional one, or have "one more thing to haul". Not a lot of spare room in a Fox Mustang after you include tools, cleaning supplies, and a weeks clothing for 2 adults!

Hence the reason for what you have done and I applaud you for trying to make it as correct as possible.  I never see original 80's batteries come up for sale.
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 01:35:36 AM »
The judging staff differs from one show to the next. It sounds like you had some judges that picked up on the battery. It sounds like they appreciated the effort but still felt the need fora deduction give a few issues. Hopefully the other deductions can be used as a way to make your car better also. Good job on the battery. I would do the "cheater" battery instead of carrying a dead one if  possible. But that is just me I know one of my teachers cringes at the thought of working on a original battery.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 92LX

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 11:46:06 AM »
I also lose 6 points for a "not orginal"Motorcraft battery. It is correct size and group But it is a current BXT-58 Motorcraft battery.(1992)

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 01:04:53 PM »
Am I understanding this correctly: a repro/replica/simulated Motorcraft battery loses 6 points, but a plain black no-name is only a 3 point deduction? What's the reasoning behind that?
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 02:06:19 PM »
My guess would be that a plain ole black battery wouldn't be misleading where one that was doctored up t look like an original my in fact have some details incorrect and the MCA would want to discourage the spread of misinformation.
65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline bluemax

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 08:00:51 PM »
I currently place the correct OEM Group BX-63 Motorcraft battery in my car during concours judging. (I prefer that to simply placing it next to the car.) Prior to that I only received a 2 point deduction for having a Motorcraft non-correct Group size battery. Looking at the 2015 version of the MCA Concours rules, it does not appear that they have changed for the 3rd Generation cars. Is your "reproduction" battery a Motorcraft battery? Meaning, did you modify an original Motorcraft battery? Looking over the Saleen judging rules, I would have to question why the rules between the two groups (3rd Generation and Saleen) for the batteries are so different.

According to my 1986 Owners Guide (manual), the correct group for 5.0L (and 2.3 Turbo) is Group BX-63. I am not an expert on early Saleens, did they change the battery Group size during the conversion?

Here are pictures of the correct oem white case battery for 1986.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 08:24:27 PM by bluemax »

Offline bluemax

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 08:03:29 PM »
BTW, the August issue of Mustang Times lists a BX-63 Motorcraft battery for sale.

Offline BobV

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 11:00:41 PM »
Yes, my "homemade reproduction" is a Motorcraft BXT-56 battery.
Saleen did not change out the battery in 1986.

What I have found is that the OEM battery is the BX-63 (my owners manual agrees with yours). Motorcraft discontinued/superseded the BX-63 with the BX-56 about 1991. That's why everybody today says the BXT-56 is "correct", when it apparently is not (it's the only thing that's been available for the last 25 years). BX-63 was only used in 1984-1986 cars, 87-up came withe the BX-58(C).

Yes, that BX-63 in Mustang Times would be the one.....
Now is a dead battery worth $500 to me?  :o ::) :-\ :'( ???
(Same guy has OEM catback exhaust @$1200 each too...  :-\ )
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 11:17:42 PM by BobV »
1986 Saleen Mustang
51k miles 98% original

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 11:16:45 PM »
Yes, my "homemade reproduction" is a Motorcraft BXT-56 battery.
Saleen did not change out the battery in 1986.

What I have found is that the OEM battery is the BX-63 (my owners manual agrees with yours). Motorcraft discontinued/superseded the BX-63 with the BX-56 about 1991. That's why everybody today says the BXT-56 is "correct", when it apparently is not. BX-63 was only used in 1984-1986 cars, 87-up came withe the BX-58(C).

Yes, that BX-63 in Mustang Times would be the one.....
Now is a dead battery worth $500 to me?  :o ::) :-\ :'( ???
(Same guy has OEM catback exhaust @$1200 each too...  :-\ )
Yes , life is all about choices.