Author Topic: 1964 Pinch Weld / Rocker Black Out  (Read 3689 times)

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
1964 Pinch Weld / Rocker Black Out
« on: May 24, 2010, 07:57:52 PM »
OK, I know this has been discussed many times, but...  Does anyone have a August '64 or maybe a bit later Dearborn car with some original paint remaining showing the lower pinch weld black out process?

I have pictures of two May '64 cars (one early May, one late May) that have the brushed on black out.  Both of these cars have nice original paint.  They are both convertibles and neither have any black out on the lower reinforcement pans or floor pans that is normally seen on a car with the sprayed on black out.

I'm just trying to determine when the move was made at the Dearborn plant from the brush on to the spray on black out.  The 1964 Body Engineering Installation Manual (Osborn book) shows the spray on application in a section dated 7-20-64 that is noted as "supersedes 4-21-64."

Thanks for looking.

Offline Road Reptile

Re: 1964 Pinch Weld / Rocker Black Out
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 09:02:54 AM »
 Hi Brant,
This has been a long time topic for me,(1974 to be precise)and very few people work on getting this detail even close to correct.After seeing my 65 Dearborn Fastback with a 03J build date with brushed on black for the pinch weld along the rocker,I noticed later built cars appear to be sprayed on,and the overspray pattern makes me suspect it was automated,and done just prior to the installation of the front fenders.It is one of many very small details that people overlook when a car is repainted,and one of the first give away clues that it is no longer original paint.Ford still does this on certain cars/trucks so it has not changed the original intent of drawing your attention away from this seam (or attempting to hide it from view)
I hope this helps give you some idea of a time frame..I would say any car produced within the March-September 1964 window that are Dearborn produced should be brushed on.Has anyone seen a later build with this detail?
             Regards R.R.

Offline Brant

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 09:41:32 AM »
RR,

Thanks for that information.  That 03J date Dearborn Fastback with the brush on black out is particularly good information.  That makes me happy that we decided to do the brush on method on my 10H Convertible.

OK, we may have made it a bit neater than an original :)

Not only does Ford still do some type of pinch weld black out process, I've noted that many car manufacturers still do. 

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 12:22:27 PM »
What kind of paint did you use for the pinch weld?
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline Brant

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 06:06:49 PM »
What kind of paint did you use for the pinch weld?
Sikkens U-Tech 200 - with a certain percentage of gloss (store mixes binder to determine gloss).  I'm not sure on the percentage of black on that particular area-probably somewhere between 40-60%.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 10:09:49 PM »
................I hope this helps give you some idea of a time frame..I would say any car produced within the March-September 1964 window that are Dearborn produced should be brushed on.Has anyone seen a later build with this detail?

Have an April (approx 21) car with what looks to be spray on pinch weld black out

Have one Aug 64 car with no pinch weld black out overspray

And have a Feb 65 coupe with what looks like a brushed one

Of course these are only a few out of many cars built.

I was under the understanding that the brushed on may be when the worker responsible for the black out missed one and it was caught and corrected later after inspection. Since the car could not be returned to a booth with any ease the brush was a quick fix. We see this possibility on other years in other area where black out was typically needed

Just sharing - good discussion
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)