Author Topic: Something all Concours chrome bumper Mustang's are missing  (Read 6277 times)

Offline specialed

Re: Something all Concours chrome bumper Mustang's are missing
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2015, 01:20:26 AM »
yep had  & have many nos ford SERVICE replacement bumpers over the years & always cleaned then before installing them but never paid any attension to that coating & wonder if it could be tested to see exactly what coating it is?   And wonder if the assembly line shipped bumpers were the same coatings as the later service replacements that were wrapped in brown paper & wrapped?

Offline ajd350

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2015, 10:18:47 AM »
Since the tie down brackets were not visible until you looked under the car on most vehicles, no one noticed if we took them off or not. They were listed on the prep routine sheet, but some guys didn't bother to take them off. One notable exception was the early Taurus, since they were very noticeable. Still, some were too lazy to remove them. Just another example of things that should have been done, but weren't.

I remeber that bumper coating taking some effort to remove on bumpers I replaced in the 70s.
MCA #2254

Offline cobrajetchris

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2015, 11:07:27 PM »
I just had this conversation with my father on the bumper coating and the tie down brackets. He worked at Costello-Kunze Ford in St. Louis, Mo. from 1963-1991. He worked in the new car prep department for many of those years. We have had countless conversations about 60's mustangs but the question about the bumper coating never came up. He said the cars did come in with a Cosmoline  type coating on the bumpers. He did not have to remove this as it was the job of the clean up shop to do before delivery. He said it was difficult to remove and many times the bumpers ended up getting scratched trying to remove it. He did have to remove the rear tie downs and was instructed to put them in a box and Ford or the transport company was supposed to pick them up but often never did. The two biggest things he remembers about the 69 model mustangs was the door glass that was glued in was already coming out of it's tracks when the cars where delivered to the dealer and he had to glue many of them back in. He also remembers a boss 429 had to be pushed off the trailer because it was loaded up and would not start and the plugs had to be cleaned or replaced. It's always interesting to talk with people that worked in the dealers in those days as these people are getting pretty old now and we will not always have that first hand information. My dad is almost 80 now and I am lucky to still have him around. Good thread!
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline GT500KR

• Charlie Ping
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2015, 11:12:22 PM »
   And wonder if the assembly line shipped bumpers were the same coatings as the later service replacements that were wrapped in brown paper & wrapped?

I too have installed many Ford Service paper wrapped bumpers. Never encountered any that needed anything more than a shot of Windex, or a quick going over with liquid wax for clean up.
Current Projects:
64.5 Black DB Cpe
5F07D1131XX  4/14/64

71 Pewter Mach1 DB
1F05H2010XX  5/6/71

The stable:
65 Ivy Green Coupe 4SPD
68 Candy Apple Red GT500KR 4SPD FB
70 Grabber Blue Boss 429
86 Jalapeņo Red GT  5SPD
91 Emerald Green Saleen Conv. 5SPD
03 Sonic Blue Cobra Conv.
07 Black GT500 Cp

Offline QikBBStang

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2015, 12:28:26 PM »
Re; "I too have installed many Ford Service paper wrapped bumpers.   Never encountered any that needed anything more than a shot of Windex, or a quick going over with liquid wax for clean up." 

Perhaps there was a date when Ford stopped coating the service replacement bumpers?    Mine was shipped to Ford dealer in 1976, I could see at a point/time, perhaps when cars gave up on chrome bumpers or they started using the paper-that-resists-rusting. There's no way on earth that production and service replacement bumpers did not have the stuff in early 70s. It did not matter if it was Ford, Linc-Merc or Ford Trucks.
  I get a kick out of the 80 year old dad that said they scratched bumpers getting the crap off, to me it was more like dissolving the stuff rather then scrapping a lacquer like film off. That's why we used 000 0000 steel wool, Afta, liquid wax and lot of what my dad called "elbow grease".

Offline specialed

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2016, 01:09:18 PM »
It would be interesting to have a lab test that old bumper coating to see what exactly it was & if it was on the backside of bumper also.

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2016, 02:35:20 PM »
I'm thinking one possibility is shellac. Shellac dissolves easily in ethanol, which can be purchased as denatured alcohol (not drinkable) or as your favorite strong liquor - Everclear, vodka, etc. (drinkability can be debated in a separate topic  ::) )

If ethanol doesn't touch it, we can rule out shellac and move on to some other solvents to try.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Online midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2016, 08:48:10 PM »
Just throwing this out: could it be cosmoline?

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2016, 09:48:12 PM »
Just throwing this out: could it be cosmoline?

The description doesn't sound like cosmoline, which when fresh is kind of greasy/waxy. If it is cosmoline, which is made from petroleum components, mineral spirits would be a good solvent.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2016, 10:00:44 PM »
OK, here's a coincidence that's almost spooky:

I felt like doing some reading this afternoon, so I grabbed a binder of old Ford O&M (Operating & Merchandising) Newsletters from 1959-1964 that happened to be sitting nearby. I just started leafing through, and I saw this in the October 1959 issue.

It's probably not the same stuff we're discussing, I suspect this is just a clear paint.
Dave Z.

Offline specialed

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2016, 10:28:57 AM »
 yeah I think I got a can here somewhere like in the add  as I got a fomoco & rotundra can collection  I accumulated over the last 35 years from old ford dealership travels back years ago.  I wonder if rotundra had that can as they replaced old fomoco cans with there red can products.

Offline somethingspecial

• 1968 GT/CS Registrar mikej@bigbytes.com
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2016, 02:33:09 PM »
I was talking to a gentleman who worked at a dealership in the mid to late 60s and the subject of the tie down plates came up.  He said they had 30+ boxes of plates sitting around and they were suppossed to be taken back to the assembly plants by the delivery drivers.  Everytime they tried to give them to a driver, the driver refused saying he did not have room on the truck for them, as the only place to put them was in the cab of the truck.  He told me the owner of the dealership finally told them to throw the plates in the dumpster and stop removing them from the cars. 
Your friendly neighborhood 1968 GT/CS Registrar

Offline cobrajetchris

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2016, 10:32:39 AM »
  I get a kick out of the 80 year old dad that said they scratched bumpers getting the crap off, to me it was more like dissolving the stuff rather then scrapping a lacquer like film off. That's why we used 000 0000 steel wool, Afta, liquid wax and lot of what my dad called "elbow grease".

If you read my comment correctly my father (80 year old dad) didn't remove the coatings the detail shop guys did and may have not been as smart as you when you worked there, I don't know. I was just stating what he said did occasionally happened.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007