Author Topic: 67 mustang 390 S code firewall sound deadener  (Read 2116 times)

Offline Horace Collums

67 mustang 390 S code firewall sound deadener
« on: May 27, 2010, 10:54:19 PM »
Not sure if there is a solution here, when my car was restored (body, metal and paint ) the sound deadener was not applied to the fire wall,  as you know by now it is PINK.  what is the best way to correct this problem.  I don,t know what the wording means(no sound deadener with documentation )

7R01S
Horace

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 67 mustang 390 S code firewall sound deadener
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 11:47:36 PM »
The firewall is the area between the engine bay and interior of the car.  There are components such as the heater box, wiring, etc... that protrude through the firewall.  After these items were installed, it was typical for the edges of the items to be sprayed with a black sealer.  This was normally done before the engine was installed, but with pretty much everything installed going through the firewall.  Of course, this area should have been black (or mostly black), before the sealer was applied.  Some folks refer to it as sound deadener, but the results are the same.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 12:53:07 AM »
Not sure if the sealer/adhesive was originally a black color but today restorers often use that color and it will get you by. Remember not to seal the screw that attaches the engine ground to the firewall since it was attached to the uninstalled engine when the sealing took place
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Horace Collums

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 11:24:28 AM »
so I just spray it right over the pink paint ?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 04:30:17 PM »
so I just spray it right over the pink paint ?

You might want to provide us with a picture before you go too much further.  We're talking about the engine bay here, not any part of the exterior (or cowl to firewall area.)
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin