Author Topic: Replacing ball joint dust caps/boots  (Read 7521 times)

Offline mustangcanuk

Replacing ball joint dust caps/boots
« on: January 14, 2016, 10:05:37 PM »
 Looking how to change the dust caps on the upper ball joint,which have the riveted knuckle .Do you cut the metal retainer and insert the rubber caps. Doing a   under carriage resto on my 65FB John R.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 05:36:21 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Replacing ball joint dust caps/boots
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 12:13:26 AM »
Looking how to change the dust caps on the upper ball joint,which have the riveted knuckle .Do you cut the metal retainer and insert the rubber caps. Doing a   under carriage resto on my 65FB John R.
Typically you would drill the rivets out to loosen the retainer and insert a new boot. A restorer concerned about originality would re rivet the retainer back on, others use bolts+nuts. Some of the later service uppers use a different smaller boot that is not held under the retainer. It depends on which you have and how original you want to be. You can buy the original style boots from larger vendors now. They aren't exact but very close.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 05:37:05 PM by J_Speegle »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline mustangcanuk

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 01:09:28 PM »
Thanks Bob,I have the boots ,think I will go with the bolt system,have replaced the tye rod boots already that was simple,nice to keep it original as possible . John R.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 05:36:46 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 02:54:36 PM »
Thanks Bob,I have the boots ,think I will go with the bolt system,have replaced the tye rod boots already that was simple,nice to keep it original as possible . John R.

If you're going for originality, you'll want to keep the ball joint rivets in place.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 05:36:55 PM by J_Speegle »
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 03:49:00 PM »
Keep in place as in replace?   Reading between the lines, since boot replacement is the plan, I was assuming that the boots are torn.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 05:36:37 PM by J_Speegle »
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 05:32:27 PM »
.............Doing a   undercarriage resto on my 65FB

If your doing a "resto" then your going to want to spend the time and $$'s to do it the original way IMHO. If your going bolts its not original or a restoration. It is going to be allot more expensive but no one said restoring is cheap all the time. 

Consider/remember if you choose to use bolts its not safe to just use any bolt for this purpose. The bolts not only hold your dust boot to the arm but hold the ball joint to the a arm. Ball joint replacement kits come with hardened grade 8 (you need to double check to be sure) bolts, nuts and locking washers.

Since you've done the tie rods and focused on the upper ball joint boots pretty sure (if they are not there already) the lowers won't be far behind.  Might want to make sure rather than spend more down time later for the car
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 05:40:13 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mustangcanuk

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 06:47:10 PM »
The lower ball joints had been replaced years ago before I bought it in 1990. I realize it would need special grade 5 bolts,Imay go the rivet way Thanks guys,JohnR.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 02:27:34 AM »
I wouldn't try to do ball joint rivets at home. They take special equipment, and they are a safety concern if not done correctly. Make sure you have originals before you spend the money. There is a gentleman In AZ that does them. Bob or Jeff should be able to steer you in the right direction.

-Keith

Offline Badgas6228

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 02:01:55 PM »
Hello all,looking to have my 70 Boss  upper and lower control arm ball joints rivited in they are are completly refinished cleaned, glasss beaded,then tumbled have moog ball joints where can a fellow send them for proper rivit install,thanks Greg.  Seattle

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 02:17:45 PM »
Hello all,looking to have my 70 Boss  upper and lower control arm ball joints rivited in they are are completly refinished cleaned, glasss beaded,then tumbled have moog ball joints where can a fellow send them for proper rivit install,thanks Greg.  Seattle
There are a number of threads within this site discussing a few recommendations. Not sure how many may be close by to you but somebody nearby you may chime in. I sent mine to two different places to first, be tumbled then that member sent them off to Arkansas to be assembled.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 02:52:26 PM »
Just make sure the ball joints you are using are the correct length. Some of the replacement ball joint have the studs slightly shorter then original  and you have to use a shorter castle nut compared to original otherwise the cotter pin will not line up with nut slot.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2019, 04:05:23 PM »

Part of the challenge is that places that do the service will do it for a while (like other services) then choose to stop providing the service for one reason or another. Then you have some that offer it but don't have the equipment to do it correctly so you end up with something that does not look like what was originally done so testomony from members who have used and been happy with the results can be very helpful

Of course hassle and cost can be a factor but not getting the results you need will be a much bigger disappointment. For the last four-six tasks like this I've used Rare Parts.  One of the challenges is that they have worked with so many and tried to provide those customers with exactly what they want they have IMHO almost too many different dies to choose from that produce the waffle pattern. But providing a picture of your original can address this with ease. For me their are also handy since they are very close by. Others will have their favorites and a couple of our members here may still be providing the service on the side while some may want to do the complete job of restoring the complete arm and providing all the parts
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 05:33:14 PM »
Part of the challenge is that places that do the service will do it for a while (like other services) then choose to stop providing the service for one reason or another. Then you have some that offer it but don't have the equipment to do it correctly so you end up with something that does not look like what was originally done so testomony from members who have used and been happy with the results can be very helpful

Of course hassle and cost can be a factor but not getting the results you need will be a much bigger disappointment. For the last four-six tasks like this I've used Rare Parts.  One of the challenges is that they have worked with so many and tried to provide those customers with exactly what they want they have IMHO almost too many different dies to choose from that produce the waffle pattern. But providing a picture of your original can address this with ease. For me their are also handy since they are very close by. Others will have their favorites and a couple of our members here may still be providing the service on the side while some may want to do the complete job of restoring the complete arm and providing all the parts
- and others may not want to take on the liability of the safety issue.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 06:25:16 PM »
- and others may not want to take on the liability of the safety issue.

+1  Yes another reason so many have stopped or not started providing the service.
Jeff Speegle

Offline TonyFio

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2020, 04:51:15 PM »
This may be old news, but I just talked to a fellow at Rare Parts. They are no longer doing the riveting for control arm ball joints.
Tony Fiorenza
65 Lux Coupe, SJ built, 5/65, owned since 1974