Author Topic: 1967 shelby inboard wiring harness securing clips. Pictures?  (Read 10510 times)

1967 eight barrel

Re: 1967 shelby inboard wiring harness securing clips. Pictures?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2016, 12:40:26 AM »
I have been advising people for decades now. You have got to understand that you are looking for parts that are rare and hard to find.This is not the first time this subject has come up. This is however the very FIRST time that a replica of the original wire clamp has been available for sale in all of the years I have been doing this to put it into perspective. A SAAC forum member couldn't find any and had some originals 3D copied and made up a few sets to offset the expense of doing a run. No one in the past has wanted to put up the initial investment that making this part would take. After you spend many hours looking for a comparable substitute and find nothing like others have in the past you may just change your mind. I think the 40.00 is a good investment to make a 150,000.00 67 GT500 more original which makes it more valuable in today's world. But that is just my opinion .Others may have different.

Bob, Do you have pictures looking down into the opening that are as clear as Jeff's, but with all parts in original perspective?
                                                                                                                      -Keith

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2016, 02:25:21 AM »
Bob, Do you have pictures looking down into the opening that are as clear as Jeff's, but with all parts in original perspective?
                                                                                                                      -Keith
I don't any over all pictures of the area looking down. Not much going on there to speak of . Harness lays across fiberglass with no clips. I have closer pictures of specific items like  pictures of the clips and where they are attached to the hood latch support. Rivets in fiberglass etc. Let me know.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2016, 02:45:41 AM »
Bob, The rivet and clip information would be helpful.

Thanks, Keith

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2016, 01:43:16 PM »
Bob, The rivet and clip information would be helpful.

Thanks, Keith
I will work on it.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 06:35:11 PM »
Here are some pics of the grill area.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2016, 07:07:06 AM »
Thanks for the pictures, Bob.

Do you happen to know who might have some of the rubber that goes on the lower grille?

-Keith

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 03:34:28 PM »
Thanks for the pictures, Bob.

Do you happen to know who might have some of the rubber that goes on the lower grille?

-Keith
Sorry no.  It is like the headlight wire clips . There are a lot of close substitutes but I have never found a substitute with the exact same profile. The few original hard to find examples that I have seen for sale sold for around 100.00 to give you perspective . Just like the clips it can be made but require a lot of work and a sizable investment for a minimum run.   

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2016, 01:26:23 AM »
Bob, absolutely a big dollar investment for tooling for extruded parts.
Steele has something close. No since in scratching paint, so I will do something close. Perhaps in time, something better will come along.
                                                                            -Keith

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2016, 01:58:22 PM »
Bob, absolutely a big dollar investment for tooling for extruded parts.
Steele has something close. No since in scratching paint, so I will do something close. Perhaps in time, something better will come along.
                                                                            -Keith
You might check with branda and see if they will sell it seperete from the repro grills they offer.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2016, 05:04:20 AM »
Bob,
Branda told me there was no rubber on the bottom of the grill and their offering was concourse correct.. We know better..

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2016, 02:56:12 PM »
In the third photo, it appears the rubber piece would have an "H" cross section to slide over the mesh and the surrounding piece. Is that a correct interpretation? If so, there are numerous suppliers that make that type of gasket/seal. Google "rubber H channel". The catch is finding a supplier that will sell small quantities - most of the search results are suppliers that only have "request a quote" for pricing, and they are wanting to sell larger amounts, even for standard profiles. But maybe with a bit of calling around you might find one that has some leftovers or setup material that they would sell you a small quantity of. Or you could contact companies like Steele Rubber Products, etc. to see if they would be interested in reproducing it for the market.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2016, 04:12:16 PM »
Dave,
Good idea. I spent a hour or so going through Steele's website, also looking for the rubber plugs for the hole in the back of the headlamp buckets. I found some channel that is close. With a picture of this nature I can send it to them. I think you have to buy 25', as you had mentioned. It will rot in the garage post me using three feet of it.. There was a gentleman selling the correct pattern lower grill for the '67 cars with outboard lamps, and I asked him about buying enough to do my grill, and he agree to it. I asked him to invoice me for it so I could pay him, and there was no reply. Perhaps he elected to keep his trade secret.

-Keith

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2016, 07:18:44 PM »
In the third photo, it appears the rubber piece would have an "H" cross section to slide over the mesh and the surrounding piece. Is that a correct interpretation? If so, there are numerous suppliers that make that type of gasket/seal. Google "rubber H channel". The catch is finding a supplier that will sell small quantities - most of the search results are suppliers that only have "request a quote" for pricing, and they are wanting to sell larger amounts, even for standard profiles. But maybe with a bit of calling around you might find one that has some leftovers or setup material that they would sell you a small quantity of. Or you could contact companies like Steele Rubber Products, etc. to see if they would be interested in reproducing it for the market.
The original has a channel on one side that the grill mesh fits into the other side has a wider flat side .No channel on the bottom side.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2016, 07:32:25 PM »
Dave,
Good idea. I spent a hour or so going through Steele's website, also looking for the rubber plugs for the hole in the back of the headlamp buckets. I found some channel that is close. With a picture of this nature I can send it to them. I think you have to buy 25', as you had mentioned. It will rot in the garage post me using three feet of it.. There was a gentleman selling the correct pattern lower grill for the '67 cars with outboard lamps, and I asked him about buying enough to do my grill, and he agree to it. I asked him to invoice me for it so I could pay him, and there was no reply. Perhaps he elected to keep his trade secret.

-Keith
The rear large plugs are the same difficult to find as the clips and the grill channel. If your low beam buckets still have the large rubber grommets  move the rubber to the inboard. Remember the bulb holding dish portion of the bucket is unique to high beam and low beam. The fender buckets are not as noticeable and a good place for a substitute rubber grommet or if you don't have the correct bucket with the big hole . I got some lower grills from the guy selling the outboard lower grills. The rubber channel is a acceptable substitute. I have a friend (different then who you are corresponding with)who sells the small mesh outboard lower grill to Branda and I am almost positive that the grills they are sold to Branda with the rubber channel included. I let him use my original to try and find a substitute.  If i can remember I will try and take a picture of the original. I think I have one extra piece somewhere.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 07:35:53 PM by Bob Gaines »

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2016, 01:24:12 AM »
Bob,
Thanks. You may know who I was talking about on Ebay.  They are no longer listed.

-Keith