Author Topic: Trunk lid position during exterior paint application  (Read 6871 times)

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
Trunk lid position during exterior paint application
« on: January 20, 2016, 01:39:16 PM »
I am wondering if Ford spayed the exterior paint with the trunk lid up or down?  If it was down, any thoughts on how they secured the lid closed while painting the exterior?  I am assuming Ford painted the trunk interior, trunk opening, and the underside of the trunk lid first, then moved on to the exterior surfaces.

I am making preparations to paint a July 67 Metuchen coupe.  I have seen where many people will paint the interior of the trunk, then mask it all off for application of the exterior paint.  I am weighing the advantages of jambing vs. replicating the factory method. Got me to thinking whether or not Ford had a temporary method of keeping the lid "mostly" closed without interfering with the wet paint inside the trunk, in the trunk opening, and on the underside of the trunk lid.  Have you seen any witness shadows from a wire or cord?

Your thoughts and suggestions will help me decide.  Thanks, Mark
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Trunk lid position during exterior paint application
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 04:26:26 PM »
I am wondering if Ford spayed the exterior paint with the trunk lid up or down?  If it was down, any thoughts on how they secured the lid closed while painting the exterior?  I am assuming Ford painted the trunk interior, trunk opening, and the underside of the trunk lid first, then moved on to the exterior surfaces.

That is my understanding pretty much closed like the doors. Factory pictures from 65-66 at Dearborn support that. Have not found a painter to ask that of

Have not found any shadows from retainers on the trunk lid or opening as well as none on the door or door jamb that I can recall
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 04:34:25 PM »
Being that the torsion bars are installed and the trunk lock is not, plus when you see pictures of cars on the assembly line with the trunk lid up, and with the trunk underside and trunk interior painted body color - all without fingerprints - painted down then allowed to go up for the inside stuff.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 05:01:19 PM »
Just looked at some additional paint line pictures

Almost looks like car is painted (exterior) then door jambs are shot.

Then exterior is given another coat (trunk down) 

Interior of the trunk appears already painted when the final (?) coat is applied.

Appears to be 67 or 68 Dearborn line
Jeff Speegle

Offline DKutz

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 05:33:45 PM »
its too bad there are not more pictures or documentation on the assembly line practices/build sequence...
1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Gone but not forgotten - 1996 Mustang GT

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 05:54:41 PM »
its too bad there are not more pictures or documentation on the assembly line practices/build sequence...

Would guess that at the time there were many "secrets" around the plant that companies didn't want to share to freely. Know that there were "black rooms" at the factory glass plants. Took all kinds of paperwork and clearances to visit those areas. Did it once or twice for one locally (one of Libby Owens Ford plants) we were responsible for the fire protection in the late 70's-early 80's.

So we have to settle for what we have and try and fill in with recall from what workers are left that remember any details.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Hawkeye

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 06:57:23 PM »
So, should the inside of the trunk, and underside of trunk lid, be all body color?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 07:03:27 PM »
So, should the inside of the trunk, and underside of trunk lid, be all body color?

Lots and lots of mention of this in prior threads ;)

FAQs of most classic sections

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=8441.msg49008#msg49008

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=1259.msg6364#msg6364

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=8957.msg52267#msg52267

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=8957.msg52267#msg52267

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=7738.msg44251#msg44251

Bottom line - Yes. Trunk lids were attached so the mounting hardware and hinges were painted exterior color as well as over approx 90% or more of the interior fo the trunk over sound deadener and sealer. For more detail we would need to know what year and plant you were asking about
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 07:08:24 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Hawkeye

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 07:06:55 PM »
And that's what I get for not double-checking those areas.  Thought I had looked for that question before without seeing an answer.
My bad. :'(

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 07:09:48 PM »
Added some links to just some of the earlier threads. As you can see they are peppered though the site in different years/sections in response to specific year request for information
Jeff Speegle

Offline Hawkeye

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 07:41:17 PM »
Thanks, the links helped, especially the pictures.
I may not get the sound deadener back on, but I'll at least get the color done right.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 11:30:39 PM »
Thanks, the links helped, especially the pictures.
I may not get the sound deadener back on, but I'll at least get the color done right.

Going to be interesting driving the car with nothing applied to those surfaces.
Jeff Speegle

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 01:18:12 PM »
Thank you for all the replies.  The attached picture came from this site, I believe.  The last two white cars have the trunk open.  The dark car in front being painted the lid is down....I don't see anyone holding it.  So something must be holding it down.

I assume the direction the line is moving is forward?  So maybe the white cars are actually not white, but grey primer???  Hard to believe, that there wouldn't be any overspray on them from the dark car!!
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 01:37:17 PM »
I assume the direction the line is moving is forward?  So maybe the white cars are actually not white, but grey primer???  Hard to believe, that there wouldn't be any overspray on them from the dark car!!

Look how white the painters' coveralls are, too! Not nearly as much paint on them as I would imagine.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 02:40:57 PM »

Impossible to tell if its the light gray primer or a light color (white) exterior color. Unfortunately Ford wasn't big on spending the extra dollars at using color film for these shots like other makers did

Depends allot of how clean the filters and how much air the down draft system is moving  but it is impressive how well it worked

Reflecting back on one of my earlier posts in the thread - didn't consider that if the trunk was painted first then there would be no shadow from any apparatus or tool used to hold it somewhat close  either door or trunk lid
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 06:44:52 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle