Author Topic: silly putty stuff in engine compartment  (Read 1707 times)

Offline 1969 Cale II

silly putty stuff in engine compartment
« on: January 30, 2016, 10:46:26 PM »
I know this not the right word and it may not apply to mustangs, but on the midsize cars where the shock towers meet the front and rear aprons there is a inside corner at the top that has a hole. There is some sort of pale,tan,off white color putty that is put in with a techs fingers. You can see that it is a very thick, not sticky stuff to fill the hole. My guess is a small wad and then pressed into the hole. Anybody got any ideas on what could be used today?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: silly putty stuff in engine compartment
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 11:56:23 PM »
I know this not the right word and it may not apply to mustangs, but on the midsize cars where the shock towers meet the front and rear aprons there is a inside corner at the top that has a hole. There is some sort of pale,tan,off white color putty that is put in with a techs fingers. You can see that it is a very thick, not sticky stuff to fill the hole. My guess is a small wad and then pressed into the hole. Anybody got any ideas on what could be used today?

Yes - not a Mustang think. Its possible (may be the same stuff used elsewhere on Mustangs/Shelbys) it was allot more pliable when new but for Mustangs we normally see dark gray/black used except for the upper inner corners where the quarter panel extension plates (for lack of an official term) to the lower trunk corners. That is the first place I can think of a similar material like your describing

Not sure what to suggest. Think I would try 3M Firm and Fast (or what ever replaced that product if it was replaced) squeeze it out - let it sit until its the right texture and using a small amount of it apply it to the spot and squish it into place like originally done

Another option is just some hardware store DAP in beige/off white

Hope this helps

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)