Author Topic: Front Dash Area Painting (Black/Charcoal)?  (Read 5882 times)

mac1971

Front Dash Area Painting (Black/Charcoal)?
« on: March 01, 2016, 08:20:24 PM »
On a '71 the front metal dash (after all other plastic pieces etc. removed) is painted what appears to be a black/charcoal in appearance paint colour. Can anyone provide insight on how I go about repainting this piece? I see that there is a Scott drake rattle can available Pt# L-4464, is this the only alternative or is there a paint mix that can be properly sprayed by a gun? Thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Front Dash Area Painting (Black/Charcoal)?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 12:36:10 AM »
The paint is available in both quarts (or larger) containers as well as rattle cans (as you have discovered)

Members have shared PPG number #32586

Now the problem is - what is legal or available in your area. We've seen this before where we offer a product that the poster can't purchase locally for one reason or another. Some areas will require that you get a two part rather than a single stage all adding to more products to buy.

You might just call http://www.autocolorlibrary.com and find out what they have to offer (normally they have lacquers and enamels) Have found them helpful int he past and they only do mail order.

Related threads

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=10785.msg64508#msg64508

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline nham3407

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 11:09:23 AM »
Just to add a little more information to consider.  Here is another post that contains the process I utilized with a PPG paint. I have a link in this post to a Torino site posting.  This formulation matched my original dash color very well and I went with that.  Good luck.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=7289.msg41461#msg41461
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 01:48:31 PM »
The number Jeff mentioned, 32586, is for semi-gloss charcoal poly. This PPG chart shows the matte version as 32802. I expect the color is the same, just a different amount of flattening agent used. It also shows which pieces were semi-gloss and which were matte, but as it is not a Ford document it may not be 100% accurate in that regard.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 02:30:28 PM »
Thanks for this Jeff. I will give this info to my painter and see what can be done. Upon review, I just realized that the front of the dash should be flat matte black based on my interior designation of "1W", not charcoal black poly. Wish I known this before my painter painted it semi gloss black... Looks like some more prep time in order... Cheers

Yes it can be fun trying to get the "right" (really just in the range ) sheen depending on the product and type of paint your using. Now a days its often referred to as "egg shell"

Jeff Speegle

Offline boss1ray

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 11:13:48 AM »
A friend on the 7173Mustangs.com site posted this and his car is amazing.  -  (thx C9zx/Chuck!)

SEM mixes spray cans of "black metallic" ,actually charcoal metallic, from NPD. The NPD number is VP-4464. It is a very good match.

Ray

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 05:57:26 PM »
Welcome to the site Ray -
Jeff Speegle

Offline nham3407

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 11:10:53 PM »
Welcome to the site Ray.  All of your accumulated data regarding 71-73 information will be a benefit for this audience.  Please continue to contribute where you see fit.  This is Brian.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline 69SCJQ4.30

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 04:00:33 AM »
I need to paint a top dash panel that the pad attaches to, is it also charcoal? My sample doesn't appear to have much metallic in it so I wanted to check with you guys.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 04:21:31 AM »
I need to paint a top dash panel that the pad attaches to, is it also charcoal? My sample doesn't appear to have much metallic in it so I wanted to check with you guys.

Originally there was not "allot" of metallic but in the right light and compared to semi-gloss black its noticeable IMHO

The answer to your question is yes though many people repaint using just black since that is how the door tag info decodes - like other parts of the interior ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline 69SCJQ4.30

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 11:03:27 PM »
Another question about this dash that I am restoring, but the owner removed the VIN tag and stripped the finish off of it, looking at others we have from other dashes look to be a really dark grey along with a little metallic in them most of my examples are 73 not sure if 71 had a different finish? Any confirmations on the color of the tags for a 71 or know of what to use to get the correct finish on the tag?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 11:24:34 PM »
Another question about this dash that I am restoring, but the owner removed the VIN tag and stripped the finish off of it, looking at others we have from other dashes look to be a really dark grey along with a little metallic in them most of my examples are 73 not sure if 71 had a different finish? Any confirmations on the color of the tags for a 71 or know of what to use to get the correct finish on the tag?

The VIN tag was coated prior to being attached to the dash board that was painted the dark charcoal (crazy idea to attach the tag to a removalable panel  ::)

Sure plenty of restorers have just painted the tag along with the dash board either not wanting to remove the rivets and have to reattach or were just lazy and didn't want to mask off. IMHO there should be a visible difference in the finishes unfortunately the tags see allot of sunlight so what might have been black is a dark gray with not metallic in the coating like what is in the paint.  Have not some it but would chance that a low gloss black applied smoothy would flash off to give the look your going for IF there is a need to touch it at all
Jeff Speegle