Author Topic: 1965 to 1973 Windshield Washer Nozzles  (Read 7789 times)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1965 to 1973 Windshield Washer Nozzles
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2016, 06:49:54 PM »
Based purely on that description, I wonder if that might be an S42 finish - "cadmium plate (black)". Which would be a regular cadmium plating with a black dichromate conversion instead of the more common yellow dichromate. I think.  :)
I found some clamps at the swap meet plated  with the same color . I will post when I get home Sunday.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2016, 07:43:26 PM »
Thanks, Bob.
Always a new mystery to solve, right?

-Keith

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2016, 07:47:54 PM »
Ok, made some changes and updated the document. 

As far as the finish on the 68 nozzles I cant say for sure what that is, but there is a finish called "Zinc plate plus chromate, black" which is designated as a S43B.  But for now I am just calling it a grey/black finish to at least give some reference point for us. 

And for the fasteners, I think there is just too many variations over the years and plants to include that in here.  Even within 69/70 there is several different markings on the heads (indicating different suppliers) that Ford used.   
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2016, 08:20:32 PM »
Well, they are never going to shut the line down for a fastener, so if one ran out, there is always an alternative. Looking through the assembly manuals often there are alternatives listed for a particular application.  Let's not forget the brain dead new line worker who didn't care if he was working on a Cougar, Fairlane or something  else who used what had been picked up.
                                                                                                  -Keith

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2016, 08:31:48 PM »
......... Let's not forget the brain dead new line worker who didn't care if he was working on a Cougar, Fairlane or something  else who used what had been picked up.

Really??? - most of the workers I've meet were really nice guys that seemed to be really interested in doing a decent job for a decent days wage while providing for their wife and kids.  For many this was a great improvement over other jobs of the period so not a job to be taken lightly.

Many were also members of the greatest generation and or vets of Korea. Of course there were some less then stellar workers but it seems every job has those.

To many of them we're the silly (kind word chosen) ones asking about this detail or that one, 50 years later   ::)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2016, 08:37:19 PM »
Ok, made some changes and updated the document. 

As far as the finish on the 68 nozzles I cant say for sure what that is, but there is a finish called "Zinc plate plus chromate, black" which is designated as a S43B.  But for now I am just calling it a grey/black finish to at least give some reference point for us. 

And for the fasteners, I think there is just too many variations over the years and plants to include that in here.  Even within 69/70 there is several different markings on the heads (indicating different suppliers) that Ford used.   
I would like to remind you Again  ( as spec Ed would say)the double nozzle started during 67 product it is NOT a 68 only part.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2016, 09:28:14 PM »
Really??? - most of the workers I've meet were really nice guys that seemed to be really interested in doing a decent job for a decent days wage while providing for their wife and kids.  For many this was a great improvement over other jobs of the period so not a job to be taken lightly.

Many were also members of the greatest generation and or vets of Korea. Of course there were some less then stellar workers but it seems every job has those.

To many of them we're the silly (kind word chosen) ones asking about this detail or that one, 50 years later   ::)

Jeff, you may have noted the word "new". Any new employee has a propensity to make mistakes, or sometimes isn't with the click of the job just yet. You may also consider a NEW employee of that era, in SJ especially may have been of the Hippie variety.  As for the "greatest generation"; I am a grandson and son of two paratroopers, one a WWII veteran with three combat jumps, not to mention being a Paratrooper as well as a former Infantry Officer and a combat veteran myself. ( Grenada and Panama).  I would never impugn on good men, however sadly as someone that led men; Not all are equal, nor do some really care about what they do and how well it's done. Often unions kept those kind of people employed that would have never been so in the world that many of the rest of us not just survived, but thrived in.

-Keith

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2016, 10:30:58 PM »
I would like to remind you Again  ( as spec Ed would say)the double nozzle started during 67 product it is NOT a 68 only part.

Understood Bob.  For the sake of clarity I was calling this a 68 part but in the document I already mentioned the change over date just to make it more exact.  All is good in the world of washer nozzles now. 
Marcus Anghel

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2016, 11:52:29 PM »
God forbid I get caught with the wrong nozzle.  ;D P.S. I wasn't aware there were any differences, so I just bought a set of reproductions without giving it much thought as to correctness. Thanks again for finding something I will have to change!
                                         -Keith

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2016, 12:06:45 AM »
Nozzles are actually THE single most important part on a car.  I actually think they should classify cars according to washer nozzles. 
Okay....maybe not.  Its April 1st today after all.   ;) 

Its just another cool detailing item when working on a restoration, or to notice on original cars. 
Marcus Anghel

Offline OldMustangGuy

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2016, 12:17:05 PM »
How would you guys replicate the finish on 68's?....would a good dark manganese phosphate application be close enough?

I haven't checked but I assume repros are painted and not plated.

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2016, 02:31:56 PM »
As far as the finish on the 68 nozzles I cant say for sure what that is, but there is a finish called "Zinc plate plus chromate, black" which is designated as a S43B.

S43B is a strong possibility. Here are some documents explaining S42 & S42B in more detail (full document is posted in the library).

Both finishes are going to give very good corrosion protection - S43B taking it to an extreme level. I don't know how much they differ visually - black chromate vs. OD chromate + black dye. To reproduce, you'd have to use zinc instead of cadmium, and then apply whichever chromate was used. OldMustangGuy asked about Mg phosphate - that would have a black appearance and provide good corrosion protection. I can't attest to how close it would look visually.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2016, 02:48:57 PM »
After reading through Marcus' excellent article, I have a theory about the nozzle finishes. It appears that Ford was progressively increasing the corrosion resistance, possibly in response to internal corrosion from washer fluid. 65 started out with zinc plate, which gives good protection, then for late 67 went to black, which I think might be S42 (see previous discussion, although in the photo it looks like in could be dark Mg phos.). In 69 the finish was zinc +yellow dichromate, which is another step up. Then in 70, the OD would be probably S43 (or maybe S43B) cadmium + OD chromate. And in 71 they gave up on steel altogether.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2016, 04:56:56 PM »
After reading through Marcus' excellent article, I have a theory about the nozzle finishes. It appears that Ford was progressively increasing the corrosion resistance, possibly in response to internal corrosion from washer fluid. 65 started out with zinc plate, which gives good protection, then for late 67 went to black, which I think might be S42 (see previous discussion, although in the photo it looks like in could be dark Mg phos.). In 69 the finish was zinc +yellow dichromate, which is another step up. Then in 70, the OD would be probably S43 (or maybe S43B) cadmium + OD chromate. And in 71 they gave up on steel altogether.
I pulled my can of "veteran" washer nozzles and all the tubing is non-metallic (copper ?), but the mounting brackets appear to be steel. I think it may have been a decision on the process of soldering the copper to the steel being replaced by a cheaper form of plastic molded nozzle.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2016, 12:24:17 AM »
Yes single nozzle typically zinc. I am not sure what the finish on 2 nozzle which started in later 67 production(at least at  SJ) is called. The dark finish reminds of the dark finish Seen sometimes on 68 marker light retainer bracket. I was told it was a common military grade finish but can't confirm. In the proper light it has kind of a dark rainbow effect like zinc dichromate gives off. Easier to see on a wider piece like the 68 mentioned part. I have had a number of NOS late 67 /68 double nozzle ones . The fresh plating on a NOS one makes it easier to understand. If you will be at Florida MCA show I believe a blue 67 GT500 entered will have some NOS ones. I too have plated black oxide to try and mimick finish closer. Thanks for doing the article.
Here is a Wittek clamp that happens to have the same finish .It is a little wider surface then the nozzle so as to get a better impression of the finish . what is hard to get to come through in the picture is the slight rainbow effect the plating gives to the dark bronze finish.